Greetings and salutations from Cambridge uk

It's the waiting game and I aint very good at it! Hopefully Paul will chip in once he's up and about and might be able to give you a little advice on style etc

I shove past Stansted every day on the way to Work, bloody hate the M11 and it’s getting worse with all the houses being built 120 end!!! In what way does it take away the user friendliness?

It’s early days for me with this bike so I’m happy to take kindly the council of experience.

As triumph have now discontinued them it would seem nigh on impossible to source accessories and such and pipes are proving to be a bugger.

I’ve looked into the triple k&n and there seems to be equal people in favour of both these mods but I suppose it’s subjective eh.
Because there so dam LOUD :laugh:

At first its great induction roar is really cool but after a while every time you accelerate or when you're cruising on a motorway 70-80 mph the noise just starts to wear on you every time twist the throttle .
Storming around your local ring road on a 20 minute blast ramair's great for longer periods of riding not so much :thumbsdown:
I would also question how much they actually filter as when you look through mine the filter is really thin in places .

So my advice go for a performance oe filter .

There are a few people who make pipes Paul Bryant / Viking exhaust a member on here makes some great looking pipes .

I could also recommend Dave Platt exhausts as I did have one of his short custom twin systems they are very well made and look good .

But be prepared to part with some cash as R3 pipes are not cheap .

As for the M11 I had 20+ years of it before trading the van for a desk 2 years ago ….do I miss it .....HELL NO ;)

Because there so dam LOUD :laugh:

At first its great induction roar is really cool but after a while every time you accelerate or when you're cruising on a motorway 70-80 mph the noise just starts to wear on you every time twist the throttle .
Storming around your local ring road on a 20 minute blast ramair's great for longer periods of riding not so much :thumbsdown:
I would also question how much they actually filter as when you look through mine the filter is really thin in places .

So my advice go for a performance oe filter .

There are a few people who make pipes Paul Bryant / Viking exhaust a member on here makes some great looking pipes .

I could also recommend Dave Platt exhausts as I did have one of his short custom twin systems they are very well made and look good .

But be prepared to part with some cash as R3 pipes are not cheap .

As for the M11 I had 20+ years of it before trading the van for a desk 2 years ago ….do I miss it .....HELL NO ;)
I thought that was what you were getting at, generally my riding is shorter blasts but once a year a large group of us get away for a 10 dayer and in that situation with extended saddle time I can see the noise starting to grate... thanks for the advice, I expected the cost to be fair but it’s neccesary.... or at least that’s what I tell myself...hahaha thanks again sir, most appreciated.

@REBLX136 - I don't usually weigh in against stuff. It's your money and aesthetics are a very personal thing. Things can wander - I warned you.

Dave Platt builds mufflers. And the Outlaws sound like a belt fed shotgun. But he does not address the most restrictive and telling part of the system - The headers. Save pennies and do the lot. CES, Viking, set of used Jardines - matters not - take your time and look. I know folk are happy with DP - but I have found him (them) to be VERY offhandish unless you think they are exhaust-gods. And they are not.

HONESTLY - A 3->1 makes sense. Not seen a 1->2 rear splitter yet that looks right - the ABS fitted bikes mike that all very awkward.

Any open airfilter you fit (RamAir, K&N, UNI, PIPERCROSS, ITG) will increase intake roar. Anybody who is surprised by this on a 2.3L engine really needs to take a step back. What you should consider is whether the Air Intake Temp sensor is in the air feed to the throttle bodies or not. It does not matter so much if you operate in a confined "area of operation" - Start doing distance at varying altitude and ambient temperature and it will.

But way before - UPGRADE the suspension - In the UK - Call MAXTON. No really - You'll be taking bends a good 10mph faster with no effort at all. Why add power to accelerate out of bends you take slow due to poor handling?. Tyres - well it depends a bit where you ride. Metzlers wear out fast - but are safer if you get a puncture and stick like wet **** to a blanket in the cold.Otherwise I's suggest The E-Max rear - I do something individual on the front - the scaremongers will all faint or jibe.

Headlights - If you ride ALOT at night - save ALOT OF PENNIES - Get JW.Speaker adaptive in. What use is power if you cannot see to ride.

I have had mine 8 years now - Do as you wish - not as others tell you. ;) - Especially not me.

Last edited:
@REBLX136 - I don't usually weigh in against stuff. It's your money and aesthetics are a very personal thing. Things can wander - I warned you.

Dave Platt builds mufflers. And the Outlaws sound like a belt fed shotgun. But he does not address the most restrictive and telling part of the system - The headers. Save pennies and do the lot. CES, Viking, set of used Jardines - matters not - take your time and look. I know folk are happy with DP - but I have found him (them) to be VERY offhandish unless you think they are exhaust-gods. And they are not.

HONESTLY - A 3->1 makes sense. Not seen a 1->2 rear splitter yet that looks right - the ABS fitted bikes mike that all very awkward.

Any open airfilter you fit (RamAir, K&N, UNI, PIPERCROSS, ITG) will increase intake roar. Anybody who is surprised by this on a 2.3L engine really needs to take a step back.

But way before - UPGRADE the suspension - In the UK - Call MAXTON. No really - You'll be taking bends a good 10mph faster with no effort at all. Why add power to accelerate out of bends you take slow due to poor handling?. Tyres - well it depends a bit where you ride. Metzlers wear out fast - but are safer if you get a puncture and stick like wet **** to a blanket in the cold.

Headlights - If you ride ALOT at night - save ALOT OF PENNIES - Get JW.Speaker adaptive in. What use is power if you cannot see to ride.

I have had mine 8 years now - Do as you wish - not as others tell you. ;) - Especially not me.

Thanks for the input, like I said earlier I appreciate the responses, regarding headers, I understand that addressing the restriction here and pushing through into a more free flowing “can” is the better option however at this point it more about the tune then the dance if you get my meaning, regarding more open induction, I’m well aware that it will increase the roar from the intake and that’s half the pleasure to me but people’s opinions on sound levels is always welcome but ultimately totally individual, I’ve ridden with a few Harley guys over the years who bikes as we all know are totally agricultural and burp and fart their way up the road in an obnoxious bubble of noise but they swear that the sound is beautiful!!!! Not to me!

For my taste I very much like the look of the stock headers and cans (even if they are a little large) but that’s personal taste but if I can find decent headers and cans that are similar I’d be up for it.

I ran Metz on the storm and just accepted the rate at which they wear, as I like them as a tyre and they far out performed the Pirelli night dragon I used previously (only one season) mind you I did have her around the Nurburgring on those so that might have something to do with it!!!! Took my pegs down to stubs Hahahahah bad idea!!!

Suspension is a fair one, if I can reduce sag I. The corner it’s got to be better but at the moment I haven’t ridden her enough ( 2 weeks) to really get a feel for her handling so I’m sure I’d come to that point but pegs are touching down already and you can certainly feel a slight wallow in tighter stuff. Light!! Well much of s muchness to be honest I ride at night occasionally but not much, my bike now are for fun not a mode of transport.

Thanks s lot for the advice though it all helps and adds to the process for me.

I’ve never bothered with forums before and just got on with things myself but I’ve got to say the response here has been very welcoming and informative.

Suspension is a fair one, if I can reduce sag I.
Maxton will make things to FIT YOU - They know the R3. They will ask your weight and how you ride. They offer without adjustment up to preload and damping adjustable. But what they also address is the frankly TERRIBLE damping. There are other options that address just the spring rate. I already had the rear end uprated - otherwise I have had a full set front/rear made. Hindsight is a *****.

Maxton will make things to FIT YOU - They know the R3. They will ask your weight and how you ride. They offer without adjustment up to preload and damping adjustable. But what they also address is the frankly TERRIBLE damping. There are other options that address just the spring rate. I already had the rear end uprated - otherwise I have had a full set front/rear made. Hindsight is a *****.
Thanks I’ll look into it, hindsight!!!!! To true brother to true

Back