Got my GPS Mount

Protonhound

Supercharged
Ride
2023 Rocket 3R
GPS mount is installed and now comes the fun part, threading the cable through everything and and under the tank. But thanks to @Journeyman 's detailed posts and photos that task does not seem nearly as bad as I first anticipated. I finally have an excuse to use my endoscope. 😁
20240223_190034.jpg
20240223_190110.jpg

Last edited:
When I ride.. I write down key exits and roads on the inside of my wrist ... I grew up with road maps and an atlas under the front seat.
GPS is nice but imo unless you have no short term memory or are an Uber or a food delivery ... GPS is a mental crutch that I use every day.... Can't say I like these mounts... So bulky but still... Nice unit... What my wife says to me every morning

When I ride.. I write down key exits and roads on the inside of my wrist ... I grew up with road maps and an atlas under the front seat.
GPS is nice but imo unless you have no short term memory or are an Uber or a food delivery ... GPS is a mental crutch that I use every day.... Can't say I like these mounts... So bulky but still... Nice unit... What my wife says to me every morning

I used basic written direction in the top of my tank bag up until now and yes I grew up with real paper maps as well, who can forget the Thomas Guide. I chose the Zumo XT2 because Garmin products are top notch and when I go on rides, short or long, I don't constantly want to have to wonder how far the next turn off is and if I've missed it already, besides I can create a route my way. My last road trip was a 7 day 2700mi Idaho/Montana ride with the basic written outline for each day on my tank bag and I'm done with that. I've been using the Zumo in my car just to learn and get used to it so when I put it on the bike I can just ride and not fiddle with it. And being a total tech geek doesn't help either, I'm actually surprised that it has taken me this long to get one of these. 😊

I used basic written direction in the top of my tank bag up until now and yes I grew up with real paper maps as well, who can forget the Thomas Guide. I chose the Zumo XT2 because Garmin products are top notch and when I go on rides, short or long, I don't constantly want to have to wonder how far the next turn off is and if I've missed it already, besides I can create a route my way. My last road trip was a 7 day 2700mi Idaho/Montana ride with the basic written outline for each day on my tank bag and I'm done with that. I've been using the Zumo in my car just to learn and get used to it so when I put it on the bike I can just ride and not fiddle with it. And being a total tech geek doesn't help either, I'm actually surprised that it has taken me this long to get one of these. 😊
I'm no huge fan of these devices and especially the "smart phones" and the negative effects it's had on our species, especially gen Z and Alpha, BUT for navigating it can be pretty amazing in certain situations. I almost always choose back roads and Google Maps has taken me on routes with so many twist and turns that I would never have figured out such a route with a map in the old days. Back roads, yes, but not the really, really, back roads that aren't going to show on most maps. Now, admittedly, GMaps once instructed me to get on the Unicoi Turnpike in TN only to learn after 12+ miles later that a "turnpike" in some places is completely gravel, but....

Also, after camping at some super stealth campsite, it's nice to ask Siri- "where's the nearest Star Bucks" to be directed there ASAP before the world stops turning.

I use the phone for navigating in some such situations, so curious what the advantages are in this day and age to using a GPS device?

I'm no huge fan of these devices and especially the "smart phones" and the negative effects it's had on our species, especially gen Z and Alpha, BUT for navigating it can be pretty amazing in certain situations. I almost always choose back roads and Google Maps has taken me on routes with so many twist and turns that I would never have figured out such a route with a map in the old days. Back roads, yes, but not the really, really, back roads that aren't going to show on most maps. Now, admittedly, GMaps once instructed me to get on the Unicoi Turnpike in TN only to learn after 12+ miles later that a "turnpike" in some places is completely gravel, but....

Also, after camping at some super stealth campsite, it's nice to ask Siri- "where's the nearest Star Bucks" to be directed there ASAP before the world stops turning.

I use the phone for navigating in some such situations, so curious what the advantages are in this day and age to using a GPS device?
I have done thorough research before making my decision. Google is useless for route planning, I have tried it every which way including watching yt tutorials on how to create a custom route using earth, exporting the file into maps and it just does not work right. Google always tries to be smarter than with taking me on a "faster" route by default unless I hit a button. I also have my phone on airplane/do not disturb mode with bluetooth in my tank bag on so I can listen to music without the audio cutting out momentarily when a call or text comes in which it does unless it has no access to the network no matter what "silence" setting are chosen. I do not have my phone on the handle bar because no matter which high tech mount you get, the vibrations will eventually damage the camera stabilization circuitry and besides, I don't want to look at it. There are a few times when I listen to google turn by turn directions but now that I have my Zumo that's over with.
Garmin, once used to, works extremely well and the new Tread app which the old school Basecamp crew hates is actually very good.

I have done thorough research before making my decision. Google is useless for route planning, I have tried it every which way including watching yt tutorials on how to create a custom route using earth, exporting the file into maps and it just does not work right. Google always tries to be smarter than with taking me on a "faster" route by default unless I hit a button. I also have my phone on airplane/do not disturb mode with bluetooth in my tank bag on so I can listen to music without the audio cutting out momentarily when a call or text comes in which it does unless it has no access to the network no matter what "silence" setting are chosen. I do not have my phone on the handle bar because no matter which high tech mount you get, the vibrations will eventually damage the camera stabilization circuitry and besides, I don't want to look at it. There are a few times when I listen to google turn by turn directions but now that I have my Zumo that's over with.
Garmin, once used to, works extremely well and the new Tread app which the old school Basecamp crew hates is actually very good.
Google always tries to be smarter than with taking me on a "faster" route by default unless I hit a button.

I do agree with that being an issue- the default should be to keep with "what you got." Otherwise, it works well for me, but we all have our preferences- I was just curious.

no matter which high tech mount you get, the vibrations will eventually damage the camera stabilization

I have the Quadlock anti-vibration part on my phone mount and it has worked with my iPhone 12 mini without an issue- even on gravel roads :). For anyone else considering options (see sixth post down on this page)....

Google always tries to be smarter than with taking me on a "faster" route by default unless I hit a button.

I do agree with that being an issue- the default should be to keep with "what you got." Otherwise, it works well for me, but we all have our preferences- I was just curious.

no matter which high tech mount you get, the vibrations will eventually damage the camera stabilization

I have the Quadlock anti-vibration part on my phone mount and it has worked with my iPhone 12 mini without an issue- even on gravel roads :). For anyone else considering options (see sixth post down on this page)....
I use google in the car because I can babysit it, when riding I just want a set it and forget it option.

@Journeyman if my Rocket and I are ever seen at a Starbucks please just put me out of my misery and buy me a GS. 🤪
Just order a triple upside down Carmel Macchiato with an expresso shot and call it a day. It comes with a Tampon for your lady parts. After you pay $30.00 with expected tip the 18 year old female/male (insert pronoun) Batista can lecture you on your perceived entitlement. Love that place.:thumbsup:

Back