Gearbox problems,,4 th gearin particular

Tim Forrest

Uk Pirate
Ride
3 Roadster
Hi,,my rocket,which has never missed a beat,,has just devloped a gearbox problem,,it goes 1 2 3 then. 4 th gear,,it refuses to go in,,accompanied by noises,,i,m told by a local triumph mech,,that this is a. recurring ptoblem on rockets?? ve never seen anything on ht e forums,,he then tells me,to fix,,its a engine out job,,then complete tear down,and is qouting 1700 plus to do this,,any ideas,,before this gets done,,,m convinced its a cluthch ~control problem,but any ideas gratefully recieved,bike is in wales,UK,anyone on here with knowledge of specilist,,who could look at bike,before a major strip down,,,thanks Tim

Sounds like the old circlip problem…pretty much what your mechanic said in terms of removal and tearing down.
there are a few threads here written by captains that have been through this.

Hi,,my rocket,which has never missed a beat,,has just devloped a gearbox problem,,it goes 1 2 3 then. 4 th gear,,it refuses to go in,,accompanied by noises,,i,m told by a local triumph mech,,that this is a. recurring ptoblem on rockets?? ve never seen anything on ht e forums,,he then tells me,to fix,,its a engine out job,,then complete tear down,and is qouting 1700 plus to do this,,any ideas,,before this gets done,,,m convinced its a cluthch ~control problem,but any ideas gratefully recieved,bike is in wales,UK,anyone on here with knowledge of specilist,,who could look at bike,before a major strip down,,,thanks Tim
Carl at JUST ROCKETS in Lincolnshire would be worth calling

There have been many threads about this reoccurring problem in the 4 years I’ve had my Rocket ,reading and taking advice on the forum,do a search and settle in for a few hours research before handing her over to an “expert“
Unfortunately Triumph as much as we love their products seem resolute on putting out motorcycles that the owners are doing the R&D in further development,goes back as far as the sprag clutches on the early Hinckley Triples, Rocket gearboxes wrongly assembled or made of chocolate,onto the present incarnation which judging by the forum seems to have many issues for a bike costing upwards of 20 grand.

Getting additional estimates isn't out of the question, just make sure the shop is reputable and warranty their work. A wonky tranny requires an expert to do it right the first time, or a shade tree mechanic that will get it right the 4th thru 10th time. Either way you're paying for someones time to tear into it. Good luck. As far as how the tranny operates here's a great primer:

Back