Full Face Helmets

I like full face but am claustrophobic so I need a modular so I can flip it up every once in a while. I have a Shoei Multitec now with autocom speakers installed. They fit fine, but only problem with this helmet is the liner is not removable. It is the best helmet I have owned.

Before the Shoei I had a KBC FFR. Speakers fit fine in it but the flip up mechanism was pretty flimsy.

I second the multitech if you want to consider modular.

HJC doesn't fit my head right... I didn't realize how uncomforitable it was until I had something with a better fit though. My first 3 helmets were HJC. Now, when I try one on, it's just really uncomforitable.
I guess it's going to be hard to top the feel and weight of my Nexx...

Don't buy an Icon, don't buy, a Bell, and don't buy a Scorpion or a dozen or two more I could mention. Why?? Cuz they all weigh a TON!! In fact the Scorpion helmets are as heavy as they get! If you go on any lengthy trips, you want lite weight. The modular helmets are all very heavy.
In this day and age you don't have to settle for fiberglass helmets. Buy a Carbon fiber Helmet! In fact the new NEXX nr1r CARBON FULL FACE HELMET is the litest full face helmet made!!!!!! It has some other great features, like REMOVABLE ear padding to accomodate comunications systems. It also has about the widest eye port of any full face hat.
Yes I am bias as I just got one of these fantastic helmets. This thing is so lite its liberating !! I also have a Shark RSR2, another very lite awesome helmet. But the NEXX is lighter and has better visibility for the street. Cough up for a GOOD helmet. REmember, it goes on your head. It should be at the top of your priority list as far as quality kit goes.:)

I've got a nexx x30 (the discontinued modular) It's great. I'm going to try to cut out some foam and and fit the speakers... If that doesn't work, I'm going to try and find somewhere to try on a Bell... The Bell star weighs just a little less than the Nexx I have. And the Nexx seems very light weight to me, especially compared to my HJC's.

From webbikeworld on the older Bell Star:
"Weight: This Bell Star in size large weighs 1559 grams (3 lbs., 7 oz.), which makes it moderately light weight (see the wBW Motorcycle Helmet Weights page for charts comparing all helmet weights). It isn't the lightest helmet we've ever put on the Polder scale, but it sure feels that way!

Actually, the 1559 grams puts the size large Bell Star in the lowest 1/3 of helmet weights of all the helmets we've tried, which is excellent, especially considering the helmet meets both DOT and Snell 2005 safety standards!

And by the way, unlike most helmet manufacturers who list the smallest size helmet weight in their advertisement, at least Bell advertises the size large weight. These figures are meaningless anyway without knowing which helmet size they're referring to, but at least Bell is trying to be a bit more honest."

...and what they say about the 2010:

"Bell Star Helmet Weight
The size XL Bell Star weighs a reasonable 1696 grams (3 lbs., 11-7/8 oz.) while the size L, with the mid-sized shell, weighs 1628 grams (3 lbs., 9-3/8 oz.). This compares to other size XL helmets like the Bell Sprint at 1688 g; the HJC CL-16 at 1702 g and the HJC CL-14 at 1704 grams....

...Score: I'll give the 2010 Bell Star an "Excellent" rating for light weight and good balance."

The bottom line, Mr. Duke, is that you should get yourself to a number of dealerships or stores and try a bunch of these recommended helmets on. Relying on others' subjective opinions is a little bit crazy, since it's yours and your wife's heads you are looking to protect, not anyone else's. Again, read the link to the webbikeworld review I posted for the Bell Star (the only premium helmet in their lineup, to my knowledge). It is specially designed to accommodate speakers.

The bottom line, Mr. Duke, is that you should get yourself to a number of dealerships or stores and try a bunch of these recommended helmets on. Relying on others' subjective opinions is a little bit crazy, since it's yours and your wife's heads you are looking to protect, not anyone else's. Again, read the link to the webbikeworld review I posted for the Bell Star (the only premium helmet in their lineup, to my knowledge). It is specially designed to accommodate speakers.

We fully intend on trying on before buying... But, you don't get to test them out for noise and airflow and such in store. Just thought I would see what everyone else liked before going to look. Thanks again for point me to the Bell's... I hope they fit good after reading the reviews...

A Bluetooth Helmet manufactured with adjustable padding is usually a good bet for wind noise. I use a Shoei X-11, which is extremely light but the earplugs I wear make it's above-average wind noise a non-issue for me.

I've seen some Nexx open-face helmets at dealers, they seem like nice products. Some of the Scorpion fans like the air-pump feature on the higher-end models, which would reduce wind noise.

Avoid cutting any helmet, especially the foam. If your head strikes the pavement, the goal is to have a clean absorption of the shock without passing a significant part of the energy to your skull.

I too find the latest Bell Star an interesting product. Below is a link to where I buy my helmets from:
Bell Star Black - The Helmet Harbor, LLC

Back