Frustrated update

Jay- It would help to go through the exact history of what happened- installing heated grips, not starting (solved- battery), switching harnesses, lights then signals out, when you started the bike, etc.

You also mentioned to me that you have the Eastern Beaver setup, which takes your ignition switch out as the main source of power to the lights and that you have a separate switch for your lights.

My thinking is that if the regulator is bad (probably not likely) it could burn out bulbs. Check signal bulbs.

If bulbs are good make sure you have current to bulb sockets. If not backtrack to last area of current shared by lights and signals.

If you have current and bulbs are good then it has to be a grounding issue.

My feelings would not be hurt if someone shoots down any or all of these theories. At best I understand exactly why they put the electrical schematic last in the manual.

Screen Shot 2019-12-30 at 7.31.31 AM.png Screen Shot 2019-12-30 at 7.31.12 AM.png

That unused and exposed grey connector could be shorting. Some of the connectors have an always hot or switched hot that should be protected when exposed. The aux light connector (3-pin quick disconnect) has a switch, always hot, and ground pin. Recommend cleaning and taping that grey connector to protect the rest of the electrical system.

What plugs into that grey connector? Is that your instrument cluster? I am wondering if when the tank was off for the heated grip install if one of the pins in one of the multi-way connectors (such as that grey one) got bent. Could be disrupting the power or the ground. Unfortunately this is like when updating the software on the computer. You have to unwind to the last known good configuration.
Are you talking this connector as the gray one?
20191230_084642.jpg

If so it is avtially white. There is two connectors kn the main harness shaped like this one is white one is black. The white one plugs into the maun lead to the right hand controls. The black goes to the lefthand controls . I am curious as to if Jay had that unplugged or did it come unplugged and there could be the problem ?

@warp9.9 Thanks for the clarification. It looked grey from my monitor...need recalibrating. Yes, that is the one I was referring to. Check that all the connectors which should be plugged in are plugged in. That has bitten me before.

Scott that wasn't plugged in at all when I started
Hmm the one in the picture is the male. Is comes from the right hand grip
20191230_152713.jpg

20191230_152724.jpg

The male plug
20191230_152739.jpg

Is right at the end of the main harness
20191230_153219.jpg

Next to my thumb nail is the identical black one the feeds the left hand grip housing.
At 12 O'clock in the last picture you see a larger almost square plug with just a little blue tape on it that is the main plug for the fuel injector harness. All the crimped wires in the web between my thumb and forefinger is the new style ignition plug that sometimes fails that is the one supplied in the update kit. That to give you a idea of where its located. I suggest you see why yours is not plugged in. Might make a world of difference. I will pray that your harness is not that cut up by the previous a d obvious non electrical knowledge owner :D lots of love Anthony:)

Oh and to be clear the pictures above are from a 06 Classic.

Maybe when you were checking relays you got some like the headlight one switched around ? I'm not sure if any or all are the same except the turn signal one is different.

Yes the turn signals are the only one different

Back