Front End Wobble

Come on Flip, the pipe wrench is one step above the hammer and screw driver I used when I first checked this out.. ;)

Although, I did have the intention of buying the correct wrench when I went back to really fix it.. :)

Come on Flip, the pipe wrench is one step above the hammer and screw driver I used when I first checked this out.. ;)

Although, I did have the intention of buying the correct wrench when I went back to really fix it.. :)

I should probably delete that diatribe but I'm not going to. That's why I make it a habit to buy nothing used unless I look it over really well. There is absolutely nothing worse than rounding the flats off a nut by buggering it up or stripping a fastener by over torquing. A little finesse goes a long way and the right tool for the job goes even farther, especially when you have to go back at a later date and do it again and have to deal with your bugger up job a second time. I'll probably get some flack for this but farmers are notorious for not having the proper tools. I know a few who have 3 tools to work on everything. A 5 pound drilling hammer, a pair of vice grips and a 'crescent' wrench. If you can't loosen it with the 'crescent' wrench, beat the **** out of it and attack it with the vice grips...... If all that fails, call your buddy, have him bring a cold 12 pack and his 3 tools and maybe he can get the bastard apart.:)

I own a really nice Massey 1038 that the previous owner just about shoemakered into oblivion. If he lived close by I'd probably drop by his place and urinate in his gasoline tank.

I can't stand that type of workmanship either really. I will, on occaision, use the tool I have close by versus getting off my ass to go get the correct tool, but not at the expense of tearing up the bolt, nut, or whatever it is that I'm working on. You know, I actually own a Crescent wrench, but it's not adjustable.. :) I forget what size it is, it's in my odd-ball-tools tool box.

Get rid of that cupped set of Metzlers a hoop up a goodyear eagle, Dark side tires ride smooth, Last longer and smokes fresh... :D

I should probably delete that diatribe but I'm not going to. That's why I make it a habit to buy nothing used unless I look it over really well. There is absolutely nothing worse than rounding the flats off a nut by buggering it up or stripping a fastener by over torquing. A little finesse goes a long way and the right tool for the job goes even farther, especially when you have to go back at a later date and do it again and have to deal with your bugger up job a second time. I'll probably get some flack for this but farmers are notorious for not having the proper tools. I know a few who have 3 tools to work on everything. A 5 pound drilling hammer, a pair of vice grips and a 'crescent' wrench. If you can't loosen it with the 'crescent' wrench, beat the **** out of it and attack it with the vice grips...... If all that fails, call your buddy, have him bring a cold 12 pack and his 3 tools and maybe he can get the bastard apart.:)

I own a really nice Massey 1038 that the previous owner just about shoemakered into oblivion. If he lived close by I'd probably drop by his place and urinate in his gasoline tank.
Anyone can work with the proper tools,It takes real talent to use the crap I use..Ah HA

Get rid of that cupped set of Metzlers a hoop up a goodyear eagle, Dark side tires ride smooth, Last longer and smokes fresh... :D

So do Cuban cigars......I'll have to hit up Raymond for some...................

Anyone can work with the proper tools,It takes real talent to use the crap I use..Ah HA

Jack, per chance you don't have an account at Harbor Fright do ya?:eek:

Didn't think I'd get flamed for tool usage. I agree, I'd rather have the right tool and I'll pick up the 1 1/2" open end wrench at the first opportunity and give it another go. In the meantime, I plan to rebalance the front wheel just to make sure that's not the cause. I looked at my brake pads and they seem to be OK. I couldn't think of any other situation that would cause the wobble.

Didn't think I'd get flamed for tool usage. I agree, I'd rather have the right tool and I'll pick up the 1 1/2" open end wrench at the first opportunity and give it another go. In the meantime, I plan to rebalance the front wheel just to make sure that's not the cause. I looked at my brake pads and they seem to be OK. I couldn't think of any other situation that would cause the wobble.

I'll have to take 2 steps backward and say I wasn't trying to 'flame' you, just tring to make a point that in the overall view, it's much better both mechanically and asthetically to use the proper tool for the job. I've use the 'gas axe' on ocassion myself when all else fails.

If you re-balance the front wheel, don't forget to pull all the stick-on weights and start over, preferrably on a dynamic comnputer balancer.

Most likely it's the pre-load and the bearings pre-load exactly the same way as automotive bearings. Just make sure you have plenty of grease (good grade synthetic water resistant) in the headstock cavity.

No flaming intended.. When I first took mine apart, I didn't have anything to tighten those two nuts so I grabbed a screwdriver and a hammer and drove them around to atleast get them snug until I did go get wrench.. :)

No worries, my skin is pretty thick.

Good remider about the grease. I'll pick it up along with the wrench.

I hope it's simply the steering head nut and nothing complicated.

Back