Front End Wobble

For those interested, the adjuster nut takes a 1 1/2 inch wrench... or socket..

You'll need a 1-1/2" open end that is ground a bit on the sides to hold the lower nut stationary while you torque the top nut. It won't take a lot of hold, just keep it stationary.

One nice thing about tapered rollers is that with balls, you can actually torque the stem nut to the point it flattens the balls. I'm presuming you are going to pull the upper tree and drop the stem to grease the bearings though you might be able to pack the headstock with grease without dropping the stem by pulling the top tree, slacking the bearings off and getting under the upper inner bearing with a needle greaser and pumping the grease in. I'd suggest a good grade of synthetic grease. Using a needle greaser would save you from pulling the front forks and then removing the upper and lower trees.

I didn't go through the trouble of grinding a wrench down, but I watched the nut to make sure it didn't turn with the lock nut. (By the way, the $25 wrench was made in Taiwan.. may be the same wrench they use on Rocket IIIs there.. lol) I packed the top bearing with synthetic grease I had in the shop, like a normal wheel bearing, and did end up using a needle greaser on the bottom bearing as I didn't want to unhook everything.

It's all back together this evening, so I'll check it out on the way to work tomorrow..
OH.. and now my dang ignition switch is loose! and the screws that hold it in are like reverse torx heads. I was going to snug them up with a small six point socket, but they are smaller than my smallest 4mm.. lol Oh well.. hopefully it will stay in place a little while longer.

Yesterday when I was out on the R3 and got her up to 117 mph and had to slow her down. Had a definite shaking going on at that speed :eek: something I have never felt on any other bike I've owned. Maybe it has something to do with having that barn door size of a windshield on it. Out lower speeds it is rock solid.

My riding style completely changes when the barn door goes on.. :) I ride more like a sport bike with my fly screen, which is most of the time. Since the morning temps have been dipping into the 40s now, I've switched to the barn door and ride more like I'm riding a touring bike.. I've had it up to 120 or so with the barn door though, I'll have to try it again and see if it gets the shakes. I do feel the increase in wind resistance at any highway speed though.

On the other note.. the ignition switch, I have looked and looked and got a flash light and poked around and I can not see a way to tighten that thing back up! What I thought were Torx screws are not screws at all, so I don't know. It hasn't gotten any looser. Maybe when it falls out, I'll know what held it on.. lol

Last edited:
I did the hands off test and sure enough at 45 mph my Rocket has a wobble. Anyone know if there is a safety bulleting on this issue? Also, is everyone fairly confident that this issue is the steering head bolt coming loose?
Thanks

It's probably not anything to warrant a recall or bulletin. If I'm not mistaken, it is one of the checks required during normal maintenance. If you have any mechanical apptitude at all, it's not that difficult of a task, but it is one that needs to be taken care of.

After tightening mine up, my bike is back to normal. After I got I finished with my bike, I took my wife's Trophy 1200 out for a ride and noticed it had the same problem, so I took care of that this weekend. The Trophy's was much easier to get to. Only 6 bolts.. :)

Last edited:
I pulled everything apart yesterday afternoon and couldn't get the adjuster nut to budge. I didn't have a 1 1/2" open end wrench but did get the pipe wrench on. I figured that the steering nut hadn't backed off and that maybe my wobble is being caused by something else. Put everything back together and will give the dealer a call later today.

I pulled everything apart yesterday afternoon and couldn't get the adjuster nut to budge. I didn't have a 1 1/2" open end wrench but did get the pipe wrench on. I figured that the steering nut hadn't backed off and that maybe my wobble is being caused by something else. Put everything back together and will give the dealer a call later today.

That's an abortion. A friggin pipe wrench. Reminds me of people using vise grips in place of a socket.....Hope your dealer spanks you. I would if I was him. Least charge you double for your obvious lack of sense.:eek: Did you try to turn it the right way per chance?

The headstock preload is a maintenance item not in any way a warranty item. Bearings seat in and loose their preload and you have to adjust them...but not with a Stillson but rather the correct sized spanner.

Last edited:
Back