Fork seals and bushings

RIchareno

.020 Over
Ride
2009 Triumph Rocket III Classic
Noticed after a 2 hour ride that my right fork was dripping oil. Time for new seals. What are the best seals/bushings and do you guys have a parts site you use?

2009 Rocket III Classic

Thx

Attachments

• IMG_20230419_173037078_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20230419_173037078_HDR.jpg
    397.4 KB · Views: 5
Here's what I used for my Roadster. I'd check the AllBalls website to ensure fitament for your classic....

Some DIY information, including an error in the manual
Progressive Fork Springs

I bought a spring compressor, a tool to set the seal, 2 feet of 3/4 steel square tube with a wall thickness of 1/16th (.0625) to hold the damper cartridge from spinning, and made a syringe thing to create the proper air gap.

Beware when reinstalling the spring cap. The orientation of the spring cap in the manual is not shown consistently. On pages 14.10 and 14.15 it shows the spring cap turned so that the smaller part goes into the spring. That way the spacer fits in a shallow cup formed by the larger side of the spring cap. This is correct. But on page 14.13 it shows the spring cap flipped so that the wider cup part fits over the spring and the smaller part goes inside the spacer= wrong. See photo of pages from manual- picture at left is wrong, other two photos show the correct orientation for the spring cap.

Last edited:
I remember that the progressive springs had extra metal on the inside from being cut (melted metal) that i had to take off with a grinder to get the part to fit.

I remember that the progressive springs had extra metal on the inside from being cut (melted metal) that i had to take off with a grinder to get the part to fit.
From that post- yeah, I got a defective pair of springs. They took them back no problem. I didn't get around to replacing them until the next fork service and those springs were fine.

Noticed after a 2 hour ride that my right fork was dripping oil. Time for new seals. What are the best seals/bushings and do you guys have a parts site you use?

2009 Rocket III Classic

Thx
G'day. I had mine replaced with genuine Yamaha fork seals at a Yamaha dealer. They're working fine on my 2010 R3R 👍🇦🇺

Back