Foglight (Highway light) bulb replacement

Camptc

.060 Over
Ride
2010 Rocket III Touring
Hey All,

On a day trip over the weekend, I had a highway bulb die on me. Anyone have suggestions for replacements? I've read a few things on here about replacing wiring, going to higher wattage bulbs etc etc, but I'm really just looking for a good, bright replacement bulb that won't melt wiring/require all sorts of new $hit.

Hey All,

On a day trip over the weekend, I had a highway bulb die on me. Anyone have suggestions for replacements? I've read a few things on here about replacing wiring, going to higher wattage bulbs etc etc, but I'm really just looking for a good, bright replacement bulb that won't melt wiring/require all sorts of new $hit.
Hey Camp - Just did this. Had one burn out. Went to local Triumph dealer. Not in stock. On backorder from Triumph. The whole nine... Triumph mechanic said I should try an auto parts store and that the H3 light was pretty standard. Went to store. Couldn't find any 35 watt bulbs there but found exact-fit 55 watt bulbs. Bought two. They were $5 each. Replaced myself in about 10 minutes. Easy to get, easy to install. I'm mindful of keeping them off when sitting still in hot air. The lenses get very hot (so does the stock headlight lens). They are probably fine. Gotta say...it's like mounting the sun on the front of the bike. Helps see me coming during the day and really lights up the path at night. Love them. So nice to know they are readily available nearly everywhere and cheap! Very easy to exchange/install. Hope that helps! H3-55W bulbs (or 35W). There ARE 100W bulbs. I would probably avoid those....

The next step up might be to hit up Truck-lite and replace the innards with their 4.5 inch LED ones. They should fit with minimal work, just open the assembly, remove the reflector, insert the LED reflector and hook up the cables. That will set you back a few hundred though. Haven't tried it yet myself but it's on the to-do list (along with a 7 inch Truck-lite to replace the main headlamp via the same procedure.)

Last edited:
The first thing I did with my R3T was swap out the stock bulbs with Sylvania Silverstar. They are easy to find in auto and department stores.

Do they draw more power than the stock bulbs?

This is why I asked on the forum here... I'd like to find bright, effective bulbs to use for the foglights/headlights without burning out the wiring and whatnot. Seems that 55w is most common rather than 35w. I don't think that would be an issue in terms of heat, but I'm not certain. I know that jumping to 100w bulbs would force higher amperage, creates more heat etc. etc. and that folks have had issues with them.

Especially considering that at least the original R3 design already has electrical issues with the keyswitch and such, I believe (if memory serves) that the consensus is that there is simply too much power going through it to, among other places, the headlights. No idea how it is with the R3T, ie if they learned their lesson. There are relay kits from Eastern Beaver available though to bypass the keyswitch and draw power straight from the battery, but I'd hesitate to put in high draw bulbs with the stock wiring. Then again I've already decided on the LED upgrade towards the fall which will lower draw considerably.

http://www.easternbeaver.com/Main/Wiring_Kits/H4_Kits/h4_kits.html

Edit: After seeing that the Roadster had a service bulletin in 2011 about adding a Triumph factory relay kit I think I'll get the relay kit for my R3T as well. Cheap insurance to lower the current through the keyswitch.

Last edited:
I had done a post some time back but got hammered by some for unknown reason. There is a 100wt bulb that has a small tang when removed is a perfect replacement, no problems with wiring, lens is glass, and 200 watts of light. they have been in my 09 Touring without any issues cost less than aftermarket and I can SEE unlike OEM.

Back