Erratic Oil Light behavior

Araz

.020 Over
Ride
Rocket III Touring
Greetings to forum members!

I combed the forum and noticed that only handful of riders had issues with sporadic oil light turning on/off behavior. How it typically presents itself:

- Bikes do not show signs of oil related issues, i.e oil levels correct, bike works smoothly, no oil seepage anywhere
- Light changes from being on to off in a matter of seconds (less than minute, generally)
- Typically happens when bike is in idle
- In some cases, correlated with flipping high beams/fog lights on and off

I got the same situation, month ago opened fuse box, and cleaned the fuses, wiggled and tightened wires/connections. Problem seemed to be resolved, and then a month later it presents itself again ))

I am not too worried about this, it seems this is just minor electrical issue acting up. But I still am interested in whether there were cases where symptoms i described (precisely as they are, I know there were cases where light progressively started to stay on for longer times which then ended with engine kaboom) led to anything significant

Cheers
Araz

Have you checked the little screw that holds the wire onto the oil pressure switch at the rear end of the cylinder head, for tightness?
And that wire in general for damage, it is part of the engine subharness that serves the throttle body area e.g. injectors MAP throttle steppers etc.

Assuming all good there, next step would be putting an oil pressure gauge on - oil pressure might be borderline

Have you checked the little screw that holds the wire onto the oil pressure switch at the rear end of the cylinder head, for tightness?
And that wire in general for damage, it is part of the engine subharness that serves the throttle body area e.g. injectors MAP throttle steppers etc.

Assuming all good there, next step would be putting an oil pressure gauge on - oil pressure might be borderline
The thing in my case is that oil light would only come on if i flip lights on and off. That's it. No exclusions. Could there be correlation between these two events? As in the lights going on/off change the voltage which affects the lubrication system?

I was having some issues on my R3T. The light would come on at random times generally around startup an lower RPM. I just replaced the oil sender and the problem was solved. Connections weren't loose or anything but it seem like a simple fix to rule that out first.

The thing in my case is that oil light would only come on if i flip lights on and off. That's it. No exclusions. Could there be correlation between these two events? As in the lights going on/off change the voltage which affects the lubrication system?
Are you sure that's not the high beam light :)

Seriously though can you make a video

Swapped to a new sensor. Issue is resolved (at least for now). Attached is how previous looked like..

Attachments

• 20230508_145810.jpg
    20230508_145810.jpg
    152.1 KB · Views: 12
Back