Floorboards and Gear Lever Question

GTO Bruin

.020 Over
My 2005 R3 came with Triumph floorboards when I bought it last month. It has the toe/heel gear lever as well. I want to utilize the full range of motion of the floorboards including hanging my heels off the back which is close to the R3R mid set position.

Of course this is no problem on the right (rear brake) side, but on the left side, the heel shift post sticks out, preventing my foot from going straight back. I have to hang to the outside with my heel angled out. At first, I though of cutting the rear post off. Then I realized I could bend the rear part of the lever inward toward the bike.

Has anyone tried this? Any foreseeable problems before I attempt this? Any suggestions on bending the lever (other than simple brute force)?

heel

strange,i was going through the exact same thoughts last week,my idea was to saw the heel piece off as i dont use it anyway.but i like to keep all the original parts to pass onto the next owner and that would render it quite useless so im on the lookout for a standard shifter to change out.post if you come up with a solution

Native One came up with this mod.

Find a shifter for an 04 Speed Triple on ebay or wherever. This will fit directly onto the shaft sticking out the side of the case.

He cut the footpad off and replaced it with a Kury Longhorn footpad.

I've done the same mod to mine and have loved it ever since.

Not a closeup but you can just make out the shifter. If I can remember it, I'll take a better picture tonight and post up.

A better pic...

The heel/toe shifter on the R3T is a two piece affair. I just took the rear part off. You might see if one would fit your model, that way you can reinstall before selling, or if you decide you really want to use the heel portion.

It looks a bit off but you can use the a foot mount bracket with a chrome bolt or just a foot rest on the support bar. About 3 1/2 to 4 inches from back of the heel part works great. it helps me a lot.
herman

After a lot of deliberation, I got frustrated with myself going back and forth on a solution. Finally I just pulled out the hacksaw, and sawed off the heel post, and left the rest of the lever. Now I can position my feet straight back. I can still use the inside of my foot to press down on the rear part of the lever if I want to shift that way instead of the toe.

Back