First Service - Rocket 3R - too expensive?

My first 600-mi service at Gina’s Motorsports in Monee, IL was $256.00 using 15w-50 Amsoil. In addition to the oil change it was connected to a laptop for any software updates. I checked the oil the next morning and It was 1/2 quart low. I went back to Ginas and they gave me a quart of Amsoil to top it off when the engine was cold at no extra charge.
D4B1E639-DFBF-46E9-B3C3-0E925FBA136B.jpeg
55425631-7E19-4B39-ABCF-4BDC2A91CE7E.jpeg

Last edited:
Mine's not visited the dealer yet (knocking on wood)...

Second Scheduled Service is at 10K Miles

• I'm at just over 10K and about to change the air and fuel filter and have a look at the plugs. Parts were about $80 from Triumph- hoping for some aftermarket options to come along (I couldn't find any) such as K&N and Mahle.
  • I just lubed the rear wheel needle roller bearings (Page 184 in the manual).
  • Although not on the maintenance list anywhere that I can see, be sure to lube the splines on the drive shaft regularly. Mine was drying out.
I still have that cute little orange wrench icon on my display

Tire changes, btw, are 10X easier than on the Roadster. I just installed my second Bridgestone Exedra Max on the rear. Easy!

My first service was $371 in April at the Philadelphia PA dealership where I purchased the bike: 2022 Rocket 3 R. Oil & filter change (they used bulk BMW Advantec 15W-50 full synthetic), lots of inspection items to check (almost "every nut-and-bolt on the bike" per the service tech), Triumph Diagnostic Tool scan/update, and logging the service online with Triumph. After the service I remember that the oil level was about half-a-quart low, so be sure to check your oil soon after the service and top-off if needed. For my next service at the same dealer (great shop) I will be bringing my own oil (Motul 7100 4T full synthetic) since I can easily buy extra quarts at my local Cycle Gear store. I cannot find BMD Advantec locally, and I hate mixing oil brands. I am also looking forward to the next service to flash update the bluetooth Triumph Connectivity Module -- can't do that at home (sadly).

I bought Rocket 3R 3 months ago and now its due for its first service after 600 miles. I got a quote of $495 from my dealership for the first service which I believe is very steep. Any suggestions or alternatives available that others have tried in the past to reduce the cost?
I just Paid $387 in Philly and thought that was high for a 600 mile service on my Rocket 3 GT! I will be doing my own service from this day forward!

BMWs are bad, too. I remember talking to a guy on a K1200 at my Triumph dealership years ago who was looking at Rockets because he was tired of stripping half the bike to do oil changes, or paying the dealer 500 to do it.

My first 600-mi service at Gina’s Motorsports in Monee, IL was $256.00 using 15w-50 Amsoil. In addition to the oil change it was connected to a laptop for any software updates. I checked the oil the next morning and It was 1/2 quart low. I went back to Ginas and they gave me a quart of Amsoil to top it off when the engine was cold at no extra charge.
D4B1E639-DFBF-46E9-B3C3-0E925FBA136B.jpeg
It could have been 1/2qt low because the oil change is to be done on the sidestand as per the manual.

It could have been 1/2qt low because the oil change is to be done on the sidestand as per the manual.
You still should check from time to time, quick thing to do

Interesting point! Pretty sure that my Triumph dealer did the oil change on a lift (with the bike standing upright). Might explain why the bike was low on oil after first service and latest oil changes.

For the latest (second) oil change the cost was $209.16 in Philadelphia -- but I supplied the $95.53 Motul 7100 4T Synthetic Engine Oil (15W50).

Another interesting point: after the first (600 mile) service in April 2022 the bike would not start easily -- it would start on the second try each time (did not do that when I purchased the bike from new). After the second service in November 2022 (oil change and autoscan/tune update) the bike has started on the first try every time. Guessing that there was an ECU update that sorted this out?

Back