First nail in the 240 rear tire

If you’re having that much of a problem with valve stems you should check the rubber rim strip. If it’s bad it’s letting the rim cut into the stem
I've only had one valve stem fail and it was a bent rubber stem on a Valkyrie and the little metal support was missing. Repeated use of the stem without the support weakened it. All other bent stems I've had are metal.

I've only had one valve stem fail and it was a bent rubber stem on a Valkyrie and the little metal support was missing. Repeated use of the stem without the support weakened it. All other bent stems I've had are metal.
Yes but I believe phar2slo was referring to a bicycle tube which sits loosely in the hole in the rim, the smaller sized hole in the rim strip would hold the stem in place.

My opinion, never plug a motorcycle tire except to get the bike home for a new tire. Your life depends on your tire.

My opinion, never plug a motorcycle tire except to get the bike home for a new tire. Your life depends on your tire.
Understand your concern although I have ridden on a few tires that have been plugged that lasted throughout the duration of the natural life of the tire. I had the last one done on my 09 HD Street Bob. It had around 1K on the bike and lasted another 6K without a problem. If it's a gash of course change it but a small screw then, "Screw it". Just me though.:thumbsup:

With a massive wide tire, is this a common thing? Only have 1600 miles on it and not ready to replace it. Of course I'm aware this might kick off the old tire plug debate:sneaky:

1645461640968.jpeg
@RhinoOK it has been almost a year since you got "nailed". What has happened with the tire since then ?

picked up a nail at 6000km on my GT, took two plugs to fill the hole (the nail was huge), so there was no way i was trusting it, not at the speeds we play at on the highways here, 3rd tire at about 4000km picked up what appeared to be a piece of someone's spoke, plug got me home, but it wouldn't seal correctly. hopefully i get more mileage out of the tire thats on it now. I kept the last tire and had it plugged and patched, just in case i need one on short notice, those tires are hard to get here

Back