Finally got my 2016 R3R dyno'd with the AFR working!

ChicagoRocket

Supercharged
Ride
2023 Triumph Rocket 3 R Chrome Edition
Let me know everyones thoughts...I know many were concerned that a 2015 or newer model might run lean on a tune ECU tune in the upper rpm...FYI, the bike runs incredible...i'm confused with all the waves in the graph cause you don't feel any of that...

again, let me know your thoughts...

thanks!
r3.jpg

If you think it rides well now , wait until you get it tuned properly.To be blunt the air fuel at WOT is all over the shyte show. Not even close. Sorry but that is true. Lean enough to cause engine damage above 5900rpm..... too rich from 2000 to 5500......... What did the tuner do ?

Nothing yet. I got the power commander 5 and will install it soon but I'm waiting on my headers for them to do the tune.

AS the expert Mr. Lush said. :thumbsup::notworthy:

I know stuff all myself but for another complete novice some further explanation may help. The 'curves' you did not feel are the air fuel ratios that in an ideal tune should be relatively flat across the rev range so that you are always at or below the so called ideal 14.7 air/fuel ratio for gasoline engines. Above and you are getting too lean and risk engine damage from detonation, the first signs of which is the 'pinging' that can also occur using low octane fuels in engines designed or tuned for high octane. You cannot just add high octane fuel to any engine to get a power gain as it must be tuned via ignition curve to use it but if you are at risk of detonation with high A/F ratios over 14.7 you can get some extra protection by using high octane premium fuel UNTIL you get the tune sorted.

Just to get your chemistry lesson for the day!:eek::rolleyes: But after the lesson the following You Tube vids may be more useful.:thumbsup:

Air/Fuel Ratio tuning:Rich vs Lean | Turbobygarrett

Last edited:
YES that tun
Let me know everyones thoughts...I know many were concerned that a 2015 or newer model might run lean on a tune ECU tune in the upper rpm...FYI, the bike runs incredible...i'm confused with all the waves in the graph cause you don't feel any of that...

again, let me know your thoughts...

thanks!
r3.jpg
THE TUNE is way off but your going to have it retuned arent you

would you guys ride the bike on this tune?

also, any guesses on how much power i'm leaving on the table with a perfectly tuned bike?

would you guys ride the bike on this tune?

also, any guesses on how much power i'm leaving on the table with a perfectly tuned bike?

I wouldn't rev it over 5500 max until re-done, too rich will just rob power but do no damage. Too lean may give you some more power until it goes bang. Unless you NEED to ride full throttle until you get it re-tuned to match your further mods like header etc it should be OK.

cool...im just going to go ahead and get it tuned twice...once this week and again after my headers.

my headers wont be here for several weeks and I definetly wanna ride the bike as it was intended...there only charging 150 for a custom tune...

Back