Final drive oil level

I have a chock for the front wheel on my table lift, so it's no trouble for me. I guess many have some sort of stand/lift that can hold their sweetheart upright whilst checking the fluid level at the rear :) or they have an assistant to hand:

1608751851382.png
I use a Baxley Engineering ride on chock to park my bike in the garage without using the stand. With all the commotion in my garage i worry my wife or someone
could easily tip my Rocket over with just a slight bump.. the Baxley upright stand keeps the bike perfectly upright, and it cant be knocked over no matter what u do
by moving the bike. Gives me more room in the garage too with the bike straight up.

Yes, upright according to the manual which you can get here thanks to @tino19625

I can't afford the assistant. I put a block of wood under the kickstand and add something like this anytime I'm wrenching on the bike.
1656795888214.png

EDIT: SORRY, wrong location, this is on my 2.3 litre Rocket.

Gentlemen, I changed mine a few thousand miles ago. Filled it to the level plug, bike upright.

Last weekend, I had the saddlebag off, for roadside shock adjustment. I accidentally touched the drive. And then again TOO HOT to hold my hand on, (lifelong fabricator/mechanic).
When I got home, I drained the fluid into a measuring beaker.

THREE OUNCES CAME OUT.

WTF?!?!?

The listed capacity is 5.7 oz.

I have had several shaft drive bikes since 1977.

Always done my own repairs & maintenance, since I'm a mechanic.

To get 5.7 oz. into the final drive, I had to:
1) park it slightly nose DOWN a incline, chock the wheel.
2) lean the bike 20 degrees to the right.
3) then, & only then could the requisite amount of lube be added.

Could someone please make the slack-jawed doofus level engineering stop? I was a motorcycle enthusiast around the FIRST TIME Triumph went out of business. Have they learned NOTHING?!?!

You are warned.

Last edited:
Gentlemen, I changed mine a few thousand miles ago. Filled it to the level plug, bike upright.

Last weekend, I had the saddlebag off, for roadside shock adjustment. I accidentally touched the drive. And then again TOO HOT to hold my hand on, (lifelong fabricator/mechanic).

THREE OUNCES CAME OUT.

WTF?!?!?

Could someone please make the slack-jawed doofus level engineering stop? I was a motorcycle enthusiast around the FIRST TIME Triumph went out of business. Have they learned NOTHING?!?!

You are warned.

jmo
any level close to fill hole would b fine.

THREE OUNCES CAME OUT.

WTF?!?!?

You are warned.
As a mechanic you will know that the listed capacity is the dry fill volume. When you drain the unit you will typically leave around 30-50ml of the 170ml dry fill volume in the unit (depending on temperature mainly) the remaining volume will sit in the various oil ways and recesses which are designed to retain oil around components such as seals and bearings during operation, in addition oil will also generally cling to the internal surfaces. As a result if you drain the unit and then subsequently force in the 'fill' volume then you will overfill. This is why the manual states to fill up to the plug rather than a prescribed volume.

Granted the amount you observed after draining does sound slightly low even when accounting for the above factors but I would not say it is as concerning as you suggest.

For reference a transmission unit of this type can easily be expected to reach temperatures of 90-120C under usual high speed running and would typically have a max design limit around 140C. Hence not being able to hold your hand on it isn't necessarily a sign of overheating.

THREE OUNCES CAME OUT.

WTF?!?!?

You are warned.
When I changed the fluid according to the first scheduled change on my 2.5 it was low. I didn't measure, but I was alarmed by the small amount. I've changed it since and the volume coming out seemed normal. Seemed that it was underfilled at the factory.

On the Roadster my final drive went out. I learned about it when I went to lube the splines and found fluid inside the drive shaft tub that had leaked out of the final drive.

I'd suggest that you check there and lube the splines while you're at it. I just posted about lubing the splines on the 2.5 here

Which bike are we talking about here and if the 2.5 is it the first scheduled change? My 3R was dry inside the swing arm, so I believe it was underfilled at the factory. If, like my Roadster, you find fluid in there you have a bad seal in the FD (still under warranty I hope) and that would explain why it was low.

Back