CADFather

Supercharged
As it turns out my 2005 RIII has never had the recall performed for the Final Drive Unit. Is there anything to be aware of? It should be going under the knife in a couple of weeks for the recall, the stealer had to order the parts. I had it in for a leaking tire issue on the rear and I had him check the recall notices for the recent TSB (he had not even heard of the latest TSB for the idle fix. With the outstanding recall for the FDU, he let me leave on the bike with no warnings not to ride it.

The internal seal in the rear drive tube would leak, but when it did so it leaked into the tube and not anywhere visible. The perceived danger was that it possibly could leak enough fluid that the final drive could go dry without you ever knowing it. I don't think that has ever happened. You could check your final drive lube by removing the fill plug and possibly your dealer did just that.

My 05 was also recalled for fdu, I never had an issue with the originol one, but when they installed the new one, I rode the bike home to find the entire back wheel covered with a film of gearlube and it was blowing out the vent on the top of the unit. I cleaned it all up and the next time I rode it did the same thing. took it back in and they drained some gear oil out and said it was too full and that they now had it at the minimum level and it should be ok. I have not had any trouble with it since. now at 13300 miles. Bob

Thanks Tom, I was in the shop when the service manager ran the VIN for recalls to see if any were outstanding for my rock. He said that he never imagined running across one that hadn't been done. I had already checked the recall notices and read through it before I bought the bike so I am at least familar with the recall, but just thought it odd that he allowed me to leave with nary a warning. He doesn't know that I know what is involved with the recall. I was just wondering if there were any post operative issues that had cropped up after the recall. Thanks to all for posting and letting me know. And Tom the garbage can in the front hall is full.:bch:

The internal seal in the rear drive tube would leak, but when it did so it leaked into the tube and not anywhere visible. The perceived danger was that it possibly could leak enough fluid that the final drive could go dry without you ever knowing it. I don't think that has ever happened. You could check your final drive lube by removing the fill plug and possibly your dealer did just that.

Well, if it leaks into the hollow tube, you just keep adding until an equilibrium is reached in the tube and final drive casting. You'll never have to worry about your intermediate shaft getting rusty.........I could see where there would be a concern that the final drive cavity might go dry....it don't hold very much gear oil even when properly filled, but, the oil is very expensive and only available in quarts or liters or whatever.

Back