ECUnleashed Performance Reflash

Joesmoe

IMOKUR2
Ride
Triumph: 2014 Rocket III Touring
I've been intrigued by the recent discussion of tuning tailored to the individual bike.

Looking at various places listed on the DynoJet web site, one advertised the subject service.

I called the service manager, who I know, and he said his shop does the run and collects the data. They then send the data on FaceBook to "somewhere in the world", and a week or three later, a tune comes back, and then they run that on the dynamometer. He says it's an iterative process that can take some time.

Then he said, "You know, there's the poor man's dyno, where put a tank of gas in it, go somewhere where you can get away with running it hard, and you go back and pull the plugs, and if they're tan, the mixture is about right, and whitish is too lean, and darker than tan is too rich."

Anyone know more about the subject service ?

I have experience with such services. They can get you very very close....sometimes.

Like any tune it all depends on the skill of the guy at the other end doing the tweaking.

What's lost with these services is first person observable experience. Depending on the data that is logged things can be missed, it all depends on which sensors they're recording and the speed they are updated.

If it's a good tuner with a lot of experience and a good data set and a good consistent Dyno and operator it should get very very close.

Better than blindly using canned tunes, not as good as using a real tuner like Lushy or Nels. What they're doing is basically the same thing I do on the street, only they use a Dyno to get the data instead of the street. More consistent in theory.

As I understand it, this is the equivalent of me being in Virginia, going to the local DynoJet, they send the results to Nels (or Nev, or Bob) who mulls over the data, suggests tweaks, and sends a revised map back -- where the local DynoJet operator puts it in the ECU, and run the Dyno again with the new map, and send the results back to the remote tuner for confirmation, and or more refinement.

What @Claviger said (have I seen that somewhere before ?)

I was really wondering if anyone here knew who was behind the curtain for this particular service, and bonus points if they have experience with Rockets.

That's exactly what it is Joe, as you describe.

I have some issues with it conceptually, mainly they won't be capturing Vacuum data unless they plumb in a sensor, so how are they going to tune the L tables the right way?

You don't NEED to use vacuum data to tune the bike, but it's that last touch of perfection lost if you don't have it.

The identity of the actual code tweaked is usually kept secret because then a company couldn't charge you for being the middle man, you could just go straight to the tuner yourself....

Back