Easy high/poor idle fix

Heisenberg

.020 Over
Well, guys, I've experienced that high idle problem recently and was pretty scared with the potential difficulties on my way to light-hearted riding. Thanks to this forum and especially Tomo - I've found the fix. The point was to set voltage on the TPS as it sometimes goes crazy. The thing that inerested me was that turning the TPS changes the voltage. So I maid as follows. Turned on the bike, losen the screw that fixes the primary TPS and turned it round. The hole that is used to fix the TPS is some kind of oval so it is possible to turn this unit. Turning clockwise makes poor idle, turning in opposite direction makes high idle. As I don't have any special tools ang gauges I've used the tachometer to set the idle I need, that came from about 3rd attempt but still bike runs perfect now.
My idea about TPS is that it could be not bkoken and sometimes there is no need to change it. As there is possibility for it to move round that could be done just because of the engine vibration. And if you turn it round you could notice that even small movement influences the idle a lot.
Anyway I will do verything right when I get some gauges and software. But this fix is extremely easy and hope that will help many Rocketeers to enjoy their rides for longer time and especially when got down by the issue during long trips.

Good post and good info.
Plus it was cheaper than a new TPS.
That's always a plus.
Thanks for posting this,
ALL information about these little quirks is welcome info.
Now a question.
Are there any other Rockets in Russia you've seen?

Good post and good info.
Plus it was cheaper than a new TPS.
That's always a plus.
Thanks for posting this,
ALL information about these little quirks is welcome info.
Now a question.
Are there any other Rockets in Russia you've seen?

Yes, there are some Rockets. Have seen two this weekend. We've got a small forum in Russia :)

If it has the black internals the primary TPS usually will go bad. I adjusted my TPS by hand when I had the same problem but found it did eventually go bad within days.

I didn't pull it out this time as I don't have any software to put it back after that. So don't have any information about the internals color. Hope that this item would last long. Anyway I will share information here on how it goes.

If it has the black internals the primary TPS usually will go bad. I adjusted my TPS by hand when I had the same problem but found it did eventually go bad within days.
Some may go bad but I believe many are replaced when that is not necessary because the adjustment/reset can/will resolve many TPS issues. I adjusted and reset mine about 3000 miles ago and have had no issue since.

I posted this same post a year or 2 ago and thought mine was fixed as well, but eventually it went bad again. Haven't had any problem since going with the new 'blue' TPS but I've only had it about 8 months or so..

I posted this same post a year or 2 ago and thought mine was fixed as well, but eventually it went bad again. Haven't had any problem since going with the new 'blue' TPS but I've only had it about 8 months or so..

So it became bad and no further calibration helped?

So it became bad and no further calibration helped?

Well, I can answer this question now. Experienced about 400 miles since the fix and yesterday after 20-30 miles of hot driving TPS gave me a surprise. It was C +27 and a really horrable traffic jam so even hard rules violation didn't help. And at last the traffic became better, I get feeling of freedom going 90 mph and oops notice that it idles at 2k as previous time. Feeling confident I stopped and took the wrench out of my pocket. After starting the "calibration" my feeling wanted to leave me because idle only increased to 2,5k. It's not good when 150 miles from home if you know what I mean. And nothing made any sense nor kill switch neither throttle. So the last thing that cured the TPS was that I've disconnected the (+) wire from the battery for 10 minutes and after that started the "calibration" process one more time. So bike runs perfect now but I called dealer to order the new TPS because this one seems to not like the hot weather.

Back