DYNO TUNER QUESTION

Jeremy

.060 Over
Ride
2009 Triumph Rocket 3 Touring
I didnt want to hijack the other recent dyno tune post, so I started my own.

I went to a very good shop locally and was talking to the owner. I asked if he has ever used TuneECU and he stated no. I told him that I wanted to look into getting my 09 R3T dyno tuned. He stated that he could still connect to the ECU and tune it and doesnt need the TuneECU program and I do not need to have a power commander installed. Is this true?

I am ignorant to how this works with a Dyno. I have used the tuneecu with the cord on my laptop and have a tune from Hanso, but all of you talking about the F Tables and other things is a foreign language to me and I cannot wrap my head around it. I am good at turning a wrench and do my own work, but this ECU stuff confuses me. I just want to get a dyno tune done so that I know it is the correct mixtures and the most HP i can get from my setup.

So reiterating my question, does the Dyno Tuner need to use TuneECU to do the tune?

Thanks in advance for everyones knowledge on here. Some day I hope to be able to provide some input on others posts by the experiences and info i have learned from this site.

I went to a very good shop locally and was talking to the owner. I asked if he has ever used TuneECU and he stated no. I told him that I wanted to look into getting my 09 R3T dyno tuned. He stated that he could still connect to the ECU and tune it and doesnt need the TuneECU program and I do not need to have a power commander installed. Is this true?

I am ignorant to how this works with a Dyno. I have used the tuneecu with the cord on my laptop and have a tune from Hanso, but all of you talking about the F Tables and other things is a foreign language to me and I cannot wrap my head around it. I am good at turning a wrench and do my own work, but this ECU stuff confuses me. I just want to get a dyno tune done so that I know it is the correct mixtures and the most HP i can get from my setup.

So reiterating my question, does the Dyno Tuner need to use TuneECU to do the tune?

Thanks in advance for everyones knowledge on here. Some day I hope to be able to provide some input on others posts by the experiences and info i have learned from this site.
It's my understanding that tune ECU and Dynojet tuning with PCV are two different approaches. I'm a noob in regards to these things, so I went to a highly regarded shop with nearly 30 years of experience working on Triumphs and just let him do it his way.

come to Nashville, get afrs and timing set

Your tuner may be using Tuneboy which operates very similar to TuneECU. It's the "go to" tuning tool Harley folks use in my area.

Your tuner may be using Tuneboy which operates very similar to TuneECU. It's the "go to" tuning tool Harley folks use in my area.
He uses a wego data logger than we put adjustments into tune ecu, the timing is a completely different thing, its done by frequency of the bore no o2 sensors or ear phones its a computer frequency number

The adjustments on my Rocket were done directly thru the ECU.

do any of the flash tuners for Triumph have the concept of 'tune license'? basically, (at least with some flash tuners for Harleys) you have the hardware to program the ECU, which is locked to the VIN of the bike. if you have multiple bikes (or are a dyno operator!) you purchase tune licenses that can be applied to the hardware to allow you to tune multiple bikes. but, once the license is locked to the bike, only the person (owner or dyno guy) who owns the interface hardware can reflash the ecu.

tuneboy isn't clear (or at least that i can see) about what it can do. the livetuning feature of tuneboy would definitely be beneficial for the dyno operator over using tuneecu.

FWIW, TuneECU is available in special versions to known tuners, and at least, allow taller RPM limits. Normal TuneECU will allow no RPM higher than 7,000. Carpenter second and third packages with stronger crank and valve train go to 9,000, or so I'm told.

No hardware lock of which I'm aware.

Back