Dragging rear caliper 2014 roadster

1947UL

.020 Over
Ride
Harley Ultra classic limited ,triumph roadster
I’m Joe from Toronto...2014 roadster...I’ve a dragging rear brake I’ve completely disassembled both the master and caliper...the pistons just won’t retract enough...every thing seems in perfect order...any thoughts ...it’s a Nissin master and Brembo Caliper..😡

Can you push the pistons back easily with a screwdriver? If so they are not seized. The pistons in the rear caliper only have to move back a few thousands of an inch otherwise you would have too much travel on the rear brake pedal when trying to engage the brake (since the pistons would have to travel the extra distance to cause the pads to grab the rotor).

Some reasons for dragging brakes:
- as Canberra stated.... pads too thick (were they just changed?)
- warped rotor
- bad wheel bearing
- loose axle nut resulting in a loose/floating wheel
- cracked bearing bore in rear wheel
- seized caliper on pins, or seized pistons
- sticking master cylinder
- dragging foot on brake pedal
- rotor too thick (ie non oem)

Can you push the pistons back easily with a screwdriver? If so they are not seized. The pistons in the rear caliper only have to move back a few thousands of an inch otherwise you would have too much travel on the rear brake pedal when trying to engage the brake (since the pistons would have to travel the extra distance to cause the pads to grab the rotor).

Some reasons for dragging brakes:
- as Canberra stated.... pads too thick (were they just changed?)
- warped rotor
- bad wheel bearing
- loose axle nut resulting in a loose/floating wheel
- cracked bearing bore in rear wheel
- seized caliper on pins, or seized pistons
- sticking master cylinder
- dragging foot on brake pedal
- rotor too thick (ie non oem)
Yes pads were just changed...they are ebc,s .I’ll bet that’s the problem...also the one pin was seized,repaired that...any ideal of thickness of the oem pads...cheers guys..

I’m Joe from Toronto...2014 roadster...I’ve a dragging rear brake I’ve completely disassembled both the master and caliper...the pistons just won’t retract enough...every thing seems in perfect order...any thoughts ...it’s a Nissin master and Brembo Caliper..😡

Update on the dragging rear caliper...I repalaced the line with a Russell braided steel line and fittings..I bypassed the ABS...it seems to be a ABS problem...pistons are returning much better...And the brakes are much stiffer without the sponge...I’ll be doing front lines as well ...And removing the abs unit...Cheers Joe

Joe,
I just noticed this in your first post. You stated the caliper was a Brembo. I didn't know Triumph put Brembos on the Roadster??? Was it ever replaced? Could that be the problem?

Never mind.... I just check the spec sheet and it's a Brembo?? Oh well.

Last edited:
Joe,
I just noticed this in your first post. You stated the caliper was a Brembo. I didn't know Triumph put Brembos on the Roadster??? Was it ever replaced? Could that be the problem?
I’ve had the caliper apart Was in perfect shape...by running the line directly to caliper I’ve eliminated the ABS ...works great now...

Back