You are so right Tomo,I tried a side road that turned into gravel and soft sand.I found out the front hunts but doesn't steer in soft stuff.You need momentum and an unusual sense of balance.Hats off to Wilber-t and Hondax and anybody else in that boat.As a matter of fact if they could give pointers on how they cope,I for one would like to hear how you do it.

Baggage1 said:
You are so right Tomo,I tried a side road that turned into gravel and soft sand.I found out the front hunts but doesn't steer in soft stuff.You need momentum and an unusual sense of balance.Hats off to Wilber-t and Hondax and anybody else in that boat.As a matter of fact if they could give pointers on how they cope,I for one would like to hear how you do it.

One thing I've learned is to let the front tire meander with only slight corrections cuz it will find it's way back in time. First reaction is to steer opposite from the way it's pulling which can cause an over steer once you get on the other side of a rut. It's the same as on a dirt bike, just let it find it's own path and be confident the gyroscopic action of the tires will keep you upright.
When traveling less than 5mph I have my feet ready to use as sort of "out riggers" in the event a slide develops.

You are absolutely right, Hondax. You just have to let it have it's head, as they would say about a horse. I think I would have been ok if I was carrying a little more speed. I was going so slow my momentum couldn't take me through the soft spot. Then again, more speed could have meant more damage? I have second guessed myself so much, my head hurts. Lets all go have a cold one!:bch:

Dirt roads breed character(s)

wilbur-t said:
I think so, Flip. My road was susposed to be paved this summer. Now they say next march, which means that some politician will come up with a pet project to siphon the funds away.:p

Actually Wilbur, I don't want the road paved that the farm is on. People drive way too fast now, you take your life in your hands trying to get across to get the mail (that just reminded me someone smashed the box last night...I'm going to fab a new one from 1/4" plate. Let 'em smash that one with a board, it'll break their arm...)

Anyway, I'd never and I mean never buy a used car from anyone around here. The drive on these loose dirt and gravel roads with potholes at breakneck speeds. When they go down the road you can hear the suspension clanking and groaning.

Last summer, I was almost hit by an idiot driving past while I was looking in the mailbox at about 100. This idiot came down the road everyday at around 4pm, balls to the wall. I just happen to know the Seargent of the State Police at the local post and (she) came by and sat in our lane the following day with her radar on. This idiot turned out to be a 16 year old kid in daddy's car.....94mph in a 45. She chased him down and I've never seen him again. If I was his dad, I'd have given him a taste of my belt.

I traverse our road at your speed, 10-15, just like I do with the tractors. If I see a car coming either way, I stop and let them pass and most never slow down. Nothing like consideration in a cloud of dust.

Rivco Bars

Wilbur, sorry about your "fall from grace", but glad everthing is ok. You have just decided my next R/3 goody, Rivco bars. Does anyone else carry the Rivco line besides New Bonneville?

I belatedly confessed such a fall-driven bruised male ego :mad: a few weeks ago, didn't I?. All my empathy, Wilbur. Sincerely. Jamie
Hiya Jamie! You dropped your bike? Not the Daytona?? I just picked up an 02 Daytona 995 for JD at auction for five grand! How is it in Switzerland these days??

Almost a member!

Yesterday I took a half day off from the day job 'cause I had to run to Harrisburg to pick up some computer parts that I needed for this weekend. There was nothing really big that I couldn't bungee to the pillion so I took the Rocket. It' Harley open house in York this weekend so I had a great time just getting out of town. Anyway, I'm leaving my distributor in H-burg and pulling away from a stop sign at a much slower thatn usual pace (thank God) the rear tire is sliding out from underneath me for no apparent reason. Dirt bike reflexes kick in and my right foot hits the blacktop immediately righting the bike only to slide out in the opposite direction. I didn't know what the hell was going on only that once again I was able to get it straightened up. I was ready to pull over to check things out when I noticed liquid on the road with tire tracks running through it. I could tell the tracks were from the truck in front of me so I stayed off to the right side of the road a safe distance back. At a Red light, the truck turned right as did I and I could see the liquid splashing out from under the left front of the truck. YOU GUESSED IT! When I was able to get around I could see that the fuel tank cap was dangling on a chain and diesel fuel was spilling out. Fortunately for the next unsuspecting biker, two guys in a van behind me that saw all this happen, raced up next to the truck and were able to get him pulled over. Sooo as of this moment I've escaped membership in "the dump club":bch:

SteveRed said:
Hiya Jamie! You dropped your bike? Not the Daytona?? /quote]

Where have you been old sport:confused: This happened moons ago. Yes, that was the Rocket. I eventually reported The Fall , lest I should remain the only one here without such a misery. And thus without the excellent company that comes with it ... :rolleyes:

Heaps of regards. Jamie:cool:

Back