Doubtless, another oil thread...

My interval on bikes is 3,000, unless it is pure highway miles.

You cannot hurt an engine with too frequent changes.

Agreed, but like Bull said.....it's money wasted.

Any of the synthetic motorcycle specific oils work. Some are better than others but if you're going to change so often, then who cares! Might as well stick to the cheap regular non synthetic brands. BTW, Rotella T6 5W40 synthetic meets all the Triumph requirements for oil going into their engines. It's motorcycle certified. I use it with no issues.

Remember, good quality multi grade synthetic oils do not lose their viscosity as quick as regular oils. That's why they can stay in the engine longer. A 10W40 regular oil will quickly become a 10 weight while in use in the transmission/engine combo that we have. The transmission gear train chops the viscosity enhancers added to them. Synthetics aren't quite as susceptible to this.

I performed my first change at 1000 kms. The second was a year later at around 14,000 kms. Manual says 16,000 kms. Why worry? I'm not an expert on oils but I have been to the Esso facility for Tribology training related to lubricants. Love the things fellows will add to their engines thinking they are improving a good quality lubricant.

Regarding Oil Analysis, Bull is right again. We are changing our good synthetic oils way too soon. From the samples posted by some friends, the additive packages are still intact, viscosities are still within spec, soot levels are good, so why change???

Agreed, but like Bull said.....it's money wasted.

Any of the synthetic motorcycle specific oils work. Some are better than others but if you're going to change so often, then who cares! Might as well stick to the cheap regular non synthetic brands. BTW, Rotella T6 5W40 synthetic meets all the Triumph requirements for oil going into their engines. It's motorcycle certified. I use it with no issues.

Remember, good quality multi grade synthetic oils do not lose their viscosity as quick as regular oils. That's why they can stay in the engine longer. A 10W40 regular oil will quickly become a 10 weight while in use in the transmission/engine combo that we have. The transmission gear train chops the viscosity enhancers added to them. Synthetics aren't quite as susceptible to this.

I performed my first change at 1000 kms. The second was a year later at around 14,000 kms. Manual says 16,000 kms. Why worry? I'm not an expert on oils but I have been to the Esso facility for Tribology training related to lubricants. Love the things fellows will add to their engines thinking they are improving a good quality lubricant.

Regarding Oil Analysis, Bull is right again. We are changing our good synthetic oils way too soon. From the samples posted by some friends, the additive packages are still intact, viscosities are still within spec, soot levels are good, so why change???
Amen brotber. My sprint has 38000 on it. Used MO Ile o e all her life change it once a season or 6500 which ever came first.
Originally from Wisconsin so riding season is usually may through september.

I hear that Bull. But three thousand will probably be my yearly miles.

There is some strange irony in retiring and having less time to ride. But hopefully finishing the sheep barn and painting two buildings this fall, the worst will be past.

And, the Rocket begs to be ridden. Hopefully, full synthetic will make it easier to find neutral. The Goldwing had that issue as well, till it was well broken in.

Maggie May is getting close to her first change at 500. I have been a bit more liberal with the throttle. No worries about acceleration or passing. If I could weld a gooseneck hitch to her, she could pull a trailer.

I hear that Bull. But three thousand will probably be my yearly miles.
There is some strange irony in retiring and having less time to ride. But hopefully finishing the sheep barn and painting two buildings this fall, the worst will be past.
And, the Rocket begs to be ridden. Hopefully, full synthetic will make it easier to find neutral. The Goldwing had that issue as well, till it was well broken in.
Maggie May is getting close to her first change at 500. I have been a bit more liberal with the throttle. No worries about acceleration or passing. If I could weld a gooseneck hitch to her, she could pull a trailer.

Amigo! I FEEL for you! Retired and CAN"T find time to ride???
That there is a personal choice problem. I do remember those "work my ass off" days when getting over 5,000 miles per year in the saddle was tough.
After I retired and now only run my business, I easily do 12K to 18 K a year, including a couple cross country runs!
"I JUST WANNA RIDE, BABY, RIDE!" :D

Back