Do I need a clutch?

Ok, so I've had a bit of time messing with it this evening. The clutch cable definitely needed to be lubricated, which made setting the freeplay a lot easier. I now have 2mm (as measured with calipers), consistent between the pulled cable sheath or the clutch lever hinge.

However, this hasn't resolved the main problem. If I attempt to use the clutch to shift between first and second anywhere above 3k rpms, it simply doesn't want to go into second and will go into neutral after making a ratcheting sound. If I pull the clutch again (after the revs have dropped more) and try to shift, it pops right in. If I just float-shift by closing the throttle, it shifts just fine. All other up and down shifts are also quite smooth, and it's never jumped out of gear once it's in.

Could the problem be my technique? I spent the last twelve years riding a Honda Shadow with a heel-toe shifter, and honestly used that nearly all the time. I'm still closing the throttle while pulling the clutch with a little preload on the shifter, then pulling it up sharply, but I wonder if I'm missing a step somehow? I don't know why shifting between all the other gears works perfectly but I always get caught in neutral going up from first.

I've wanted one of these bikes since they first came out, and it's really driving me crazy to have such a major issue on day two.

just a thought it is a little further movement from first to second maybe you foot is not lifting hard enough try adjusting the lever down closer to your foot, you would be surprised how much difference a little makes, I always adjust my lever so it is just a 1/4 inch above my foot rest spot, I had a ankle injury in my younger football days which left me not being able to lift with as much force, just saying

It is normal for a low mileage Rocket to be reluctant to go into first from a stop. Sometimes it feels like it has gone into gear but can jump out as you let the clutch out. I don't even think about it now with over 100,000 km on it but initially it takes a firm push to get in gear and the technique is to disengage the clutch as you are pressing firmly on the shifter so that the gears are rolling and will fall into place.

I want to say 15 or 20 thousand miles on mine.

I have to agree with steel he has wasted 3 or 4 motors and has not messed a clutch up yet :D

Maybe if he kept both wheels on the ground....

So far....

Last edited:
Agreed, that's why I'm worried. I'd hate to make a simple issue worse.

That's a good idea, Hanso. I did lower the shifter a bit, but maybe not far enough. I'll crank it down some more and see if it helps.

Ok, so I finally got to take my new 08 R3s out for its first ride yesterday, and notice led that it was ****ed tricky to shift into second- it felt like the clutch wasn't fully engaged and I was bouncing off the gear back into neutral, particularly at higher revs (4-5k).

I read all the posts about clutch cable adjustment and ended up following the advice about using the cable sheath to measure 2-3mm (I tried the "feel the lifter shaft" method, but I couldn't definitively tell when I was feeling it bump). At this setting, shifting into second was much easier, but it was slipping at higher revs.

Did I take out too much freeplay if I can measure 2-3 mm with the cable sheath pulled out? Or is the cable adjusted properly and my clutch is just worn out? It has barely 7k miles on it, but I don't know what the previous owners may have done.

If I need to buy a clutch, I'm seeing mention of a necessary update, but I'm unclear about what years this applies to.
IT must be the adjustment you need freeplay
Ok, so I've had a bit of time messing with it this evening. The clutch cable definitely needed to be lubricated, which made setting the freeplay a lot easier. I now have 2mm (as measured with calipers), consistent between the pulled cable sheath or the clutch lever hinge.

However, this hasn't resolved the main problem. If I attempt to use the clutch to shift between first and second anywhere above 3k rpms, it simply doesn't want to go into second and will go into neutral after making a ratcheting sound. If I pull the clutch again (after the revs have dropped more) and try to shift, it pops right in. If I just float-shift by closing the throttle, it shifts just fine. All other up and down shifts are also quite smooth, and it's never jumped out of gear once it's in.

Could the problem be my technique? I spent the last twelve years riding a Honda Shadow with a heel-toe shifter, and honestly used that nearly all the time. I'm still closing the throttle while pulling the clutch with a little preload on the shifter, then pulling it up sharply, but I wonder if I'm missing a step somehow? I don't know why shifting between all the other gears works perfectly but I always get caught in neutral going up from first.

I've wanted one of these bikes since they first came out, and it's really driving me crazy to have such a major issue on day two.
DID anyone else test the bike ?

Oh, and I wouldn't ride it if you are grinding, the dogs round off really easy, then you're screwed. Deleted first comment and forgot to add to other post, don't mean to confuse you, it looks like you replied already.

IT must be the adjustment you need freeplay

DID anyone else test the bike ?

I did readjust it once I'd lubed the cable, and it seems to be perfect according to all the explanations I've found here on the forum.

I don't have anyone who can test it at the moment, until probably the weekend. That would be helpful to isolate any issue with my technique, though.

Oh, and I wouldn't ride it if you are grinding, the dogs round off really easy, then you're screwed. Deleted first comment and forgot to add to other post, don't mean to confuse you, it looks like you replied already.

Yeah, I'm not riding more than up the street to test after adjustment for now.

Back