Decent cost on Avon Cobras

That rear tire will beat your butt big time. Wide wheel with little drop in the center. To get off the old tire, I had to cut the bead with a small cut-off wheel, being very careful not to touch the rim. I use Ride-on in all my bike tires. Balances and acts as a sealer too. Some tire guys hate the dyna beads when changing a tire, as they fall out everywhere and sometimes jam up the machine. At least that's what I was told.:)
I love the beads. Tire guys that hate them are usually lazy monkeys. One Dealership I used, gave my wheel back with dynabeads stuck in the bead seating area and bearing area. Another one I used balanced the tire even after I told him the beads were enough. Well later when I went to cut a hole in the tire to recover and reuse the beads....no beads in the tire. I watched a tire shop guy pour the beads in the tire before he was about to mount it. I cut a hole in the old tire and recover the beads. Seat the new tire. Then just start to break the bead on one side, pour the beads in, air up the tire. To remove I cut the sidewalls all the way around parallel to the tread. Then the bead will tilt enough to facilitate removal.

Appreciate the input from all. The knees are on their way out anymore. I hate crouching down to work on stuff down low. I am accustomed to doing my own mechanical work, because I do not like others touching my machines. I tend to pay attention to the little things, and I don't leave hoses, fasteners and other stuff not put back the way they were. We use one tractor almost daily, the RTV every day. They get cleaned periodically and I go through both of them yearly for filters, oil, grease and armor all. Besides the routine stuff.

i flat cannot abide lube shops telling me my transmission fluid is a bit discolored on a white piece of plastic The last time that happened, I had the vehicle getting an oil change. Our house was sold and I was living in a fifth wheel. I had been towing on the highway 8,000 to 10,000 pounds. I asked transmission shop to give the transmission a full checkup and flush. No issues. I go in for an oil change at a lube place. Tells me transmission fluid needed changing. Grrr...

<------------ I nearly had to sic Ted the Triumph bear on them.

Graciously taking your suggestions. Hope to get rims powder coated like Mittzy has done, when I pop off the wheels. That looks the way to go.

Just put a new 240 in the rear, £148.00 fitted here in the UK. That was to a loose wheel as I discovered my hydraulic lift works a treat on the Rocket, whilst I was in there I changed the wheel bearings seals and O rings and rear pads big improvement in handling , now onto the front!

@Dalan
Good on ya, Amigo!
Different strokes and all that . . .
For me, my time, efforts and back are better spent earning WAY more at my desk than the cost to pay a reputable mechanic to change my tires. :D

Bull,

Will sit on street off I-5, with my sign...

image.jpeg

How hard can it be to buy tires.

Their computer down last week, could not get pricing. Then told me they can't mount a 240 series.

Salem shop wants $641 for Avons installed. Mount for "free". Dennis Kirk has a pair at $385. I guess the free mounting is $256 bucks?

Called Harley -Triumph dealer where I got the Roadster. They want $100 each for mounting on the bike. Could not locate tire info. No call back.

What are you folks paying? This turnip does not want to donate blood.☹️

First off, I take the wheels off and bring it to my shop with the new tires. They mount and balance for $35 each. No issues mounting the big tires. They even dispose of the old ones.

How hard can it be to buy tires.

Their computer down last week, could not get pricing. Then told me they can't mount a 240 series.

Salem shop wants $641 for Avons installed. Mount for "free". Dennis Kirk has a pair at $385. I guess the free mounting is $256 bucks?

Called Harley -Triumph dealer where I got the Roadster. They want $100 each for mounting on the bike. Could not locate tire info. No call back.

What are you folks paying? This turnip does not want to donate blood.☹️
I know I'm in the Uk But just paid £312 for a pair of cobras fitted I could of got them cheaper maybe £60 but no one and I mean no one wants to fit them

Front Cobra going on tomorrow, doing the headrace and front wheel bearing while its out forks off and see if there's any oil in there as it feels so soft it's hard to think there is!

The oil is not the problem, It is the sh*tty springs - While they're out replace them with progressive springs - Great, cheap upgrade!

Back