Datatool DiGi Gear Indicator

Battersea

Turbocharged
I know quite a few members on here highly rate the GIpro gear indicator, just wondered if anyone has used the Datatool DiGi version?

The GIpro does more than the Datatool for sure, but to be honest all I want is a gear indicator and one can be had for £25 if I don't hand around. :wink:

Turned out the £25 indicator was 'out of stock' and with 'no more available at that price' - :liar:.

Anyway, I looked a bit deeper into how they work and it turns out the Rocket's 'gear position sensor' would be more accurately described as a 'neutral position sensor'. This means the indicators have to calculate the gear position using data pulses from the road speed sensor and engine speed sensor - so the indicator can't work when the clutch isn't fully home - not something that now interests me.

so the indicator can't work when the clutch isn't fully home
It is the definitive advantage of the GiPro. It actually reads the OEM gear indicator voltage.

I went for the ATRE version of the GiPro although I don't use the ATRE feature. The numbers are much bigger. Ageing eyes and all that.

I remember my old '79 Goldwinghad a fifth gear indicator light. I wonder how tough it would be to locate and hook up a small, visible LED and have it come on when in fifth gear?

Is there a 5th gear circuit one could tap into?

The ECU knows what gear the bike is in by a gear position sensor which sends out a different resistance for each gear.
My guess is the sensor sends out a different voltage per gear based on having a different internal resistance per gear in the sensor.

All you need is somebody able to make a programmable voltmeter up. And that should not work out expensive. I've bought 3 programmed voltmeters (basically a 3 colour LED than displays according to the voltage limits set) from a guy in Scotland. A tenner each. You'd just need to measure the voltages and send those to him. That or find an electronics student who's up for a challenge.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/12v-LED-Battery-Monitor-voltage-and-charge-indicator-/150479033981

Back