I'm pleased as punch with my raptor.
I WON'T be going back.
Now that it has about 3500 miles on it, it handles just like a bike tire only better.
Especially on a wet road.

A car tire on a motorcycle can not handle as well as a motorcycle tire. Just because you can outrun other cruisers means nothing. Most cruiser riders who have never spent some serious time on a sport bike have no idea what real cornering speeds are all about.

Have you ever seen a car tire on a race bike? Of course not.

Can they get better mileage? No doubt. Can they have better traction in a straight line, especially in the wet? Probably. Do they handle better? Of course not.

If you out run other cruisers with your car tire shod Rocket it only provers the adage:

Its not the arrow, its the Indian. You're a better rider.

GPMAZ, man...take a chill pill. I don't think anywhere in the answering posts did anyone say a car tired motorcycle will out handle a good or average rider on any bike in the twisties.

What I did see was, and you mentioned two of them, was they were longer lasting, more cost effective and added stability in the rain. And they probably would do a little (depending on the "indian") better on a straight track. Most of the darksiders on here (and on the Gold Wing board....used for the same reason mentioned here) have basically said the handling, once you get used to the "feel" (which is different than a bike tire) was easy enough to handle, but there was a learning curve to it. The one rider who "outrode" other bikes in the twisties said it was with the ones he was riding with, I don't think he meant it as outriding all bikes in the twisties.

Just recently we have had one Darksider goe back to the MC tire and he gave his reasons why and more power to him...don't think anyone gave him a hard time about going back to the "lightside". He just wasn't as comfortable with it and that, I would hope, would be a sensible decision for anyone who tried it and found out it wasn't his cup of tea.

Sorry if I "misread" your remarks...I may have taken it wrong.

Dennis

23 dtg Dubai
24 dtg Home

Last edited:
After 4000 miles of Darkside, I went back to the MC tire. Had nothing to do with traction, I scraped floor boards many a time with the car tire. They stick like glue to the road.:cool:

Bottom line,

My 245 Cooper corners much better than the Mezzlers did without loosing traction as easily.

Had Goodyear tripple tread on the 2 LC's I had and loved them. Ran down all the other cruisers I road with in the twisties and was a lot more sure footed on wet pavement. I'll definately go back!

Sorry if I came across as an ass, although its probably not too far off. It did seem to me that these quotes were implying that car tires handled better than motorcycle tires, or at least contributed to the riders ability to corner better. While the riders are no doubt very skilled, my point was a car tire will not outperform a motorcycle tire when it comes to cornering ability. I still believe that to be true.

Car tyre never slowed me down in the twistys, in fact I found it more stable . Harder work of course . In fact the bike tyre would step out more than the car one , the metz is just not sticky enough .

... While the riders are no doubt very skilled, my point was a car tire will not outperform a motorcycle tire when it comes to cornering ability. I still believe that to be true.

That is most assuredly true...depending on the type of bike , rider ability and conditions. I would not try to keep up with a knee draggin' racing bike on the mountain switchbacks. However, my Suzuki's were definitely surefooted enough to throw sparks with the floorboards any time (and speed) I wanted! Ya can't ask for any more than that with a "cruiser".

Cruisers are not sportbikes. I wouldn't expect car tires on any motorcycle race coarse for track day but I bet there have been a few on cruisers for fun. Compounds don't compare, street vs. track. I like to corner and a transition does take place but for 2up, wet and straight travel and I mean miles of smiles Dark is for me.

GPMAZ, you've made your position on car vs MC tires known many times. It's been the same, and that's integrity. I've yet to see someone argue that car tires have the agility of a MC tire. I've yet to see that aspect as reasoning for going over to the darkside. Lighten up.

Busajack's post does give cause for pause. On the otherhand, I've yet to hear of any catastrophic failure. And, of course, I wouldn't want that to happen to anyone. I've yet to hear of signs of developing construction break-down either.

As for whether the Metzler is sticky enough, that's clear enough to me. The **** things are melting off at a rate of two change outs per year. Cost is neither a primary nor secondary factor in my decision. It's the frequency and then the hassles of getting it changed out. Yes there are handling issues; but, not enough to offset my staying with a darkside at this time. If either Avon or Bridgestone, with their Dual Tread Compound, puts out a 12k+ mile tire I'll likely go back. Then I'll set aside February to change out.

Last edited:
Back