Cruiser magazine article

While we are on the HD subject, Amy and I went to lunch at BE's today and in the lot was an HD but it was a trike and not the old 45 flathead either. Looked like a dresser with a trunk on the back. Really sharp. Is that a Motor Company model or something aftermarket? Amy was quite taken by it.

I read that HD has contracted with Lehman I believe, to build trikes as a production model. I have note seen any in the catalogs yet. Most any trike kit will void any warranty (As did your side car) but the mariage with Lehman wil be a first as far as a factory warranty model. To my knowledge it is still done at Lehmen and a typical conversion is 10-12k add that to a 25k UltraClassic and your lookin at a good chunk out of anybodys pocket. You will have to give HD credit, they are the first to offer a trike as an option, I am still a GWRRA member and trikes have grown 5x in the last 3 years as the goldwingers grow old. How long before Jack makes Spike a Trike?

Gunshots:

Spike-a-trike. That rhymes.

Interestingly, I've been offered a chance to become a STEP Instructor (Sidecar and Trike Instructors Program) which will give me certification to teach proper riding techniques for sidecar and trike handling as well as evasive maneuvers. It's a TBD course to be offered in Duluth, Minnesota this summer for 5 days. I'm seriously considering taking the course especially if the College picks up the tab and pays for my lodging. I already have my Advanced Instructors license from the Ohio Department of Public Safety for motorcycles only in addition to my ODPS certification for Commercial Driving instruction as well as my certification for defensive driving mauves and crash avoidance from the Eaton Corporation in Marshall, Michigan.

I wish everyone that had a license whether it's a commercial license or a private vehicle license could take the Eaton Course. It's an actual hands on wet skid pad course that I guarantee will tighten your sphincter tighter than it's ever been. No simulators there. I've driven the Eaton simulator in Novi, Michigan. It's very advanced. You actually feel like you are there even though you aren't but nothing beats the real thing.

Not bad for an old steel hauler.

I find the trikes very interesting. Not as interesting as an offset 3 wheeler but a considered replacement for when you get too old to hold up a behemoth like the Rocket and don't have the coordination that's necessary to pilot a sidecar outfit.

Interesting...

It was an interesting read. I see the opinions are lukewarm. I still maintain the cruiser market is saturated and another wannabe player will do nothing to perpetuate anything.

I guess only time will tell. I'm not buying one. I don't care for the knock off styling and it's lost what attracted me to the R3 in the first place....it's individuality.

I guess we'll see first hand when we pick up a new poster with one and get some first person impressions.

Finally, I see we won't have to worry about a new Rocket Touring wanker smoking us at the stoplight. 145 down to 105 and a miniscule addition of torque.....maybe it gets 60 mpg.:rolleyes:

I'll keep my bugeye bike and my individuality. Ed and Carol mentioned to me in Nashville they'd be interested in a Rock if Triumph went to a more touring oriented model so I sent them a link. I guess it'a okay when you ride a potato bike, going to a wannabe potato bike is acceptable.

I wonder how the response would be on the online reviews that allow postings, if we were to voice some of the concerns that we have of Triumphs quality control and service. Would you really be thinking about a new R3 tourer if you knew that on some of the earlier ones, they couldn't get the idle right, or the cam gears came off? Now mind you I have not the first problem with my Rocket, nor do I expect too. But I do read with great interest the lack of attention that mother Triumph has paid to what should be considered major issues. Don't get me wrong I like my R3, but I would have some serious reservations about recommending Triumph to any of my riding buddies. Besides I like having the only one in my circle of friends.

I wonder how the response would be on the online reviews that allow postings, if we were to voice some of the concerns that we have of Triumphs quality control and service. Would you really be thinking about a new R3 tourer if you knew that on some of the earlier ones, they couldn't get the idle right, or the cam gears came off? Now mind you I have not the first problem with my Rocket, nor do I expect too. But I do read with great interest the lack of attention that mother Triumph has paid to what should be considered major issues. Don't get me wrong I like my R3, but I would have some serious reservations about recommending Triumph to any of my riding buddies. Besides I like having the only one in my circle of friends.

Nor have I had any problems that have required intervention of a dealer. Sometimes though, I wonder if we as the end users are doing the First Article Testing on Triumph's new models.:eek:

Back