lieu910

Standard Bore
Hello all,

Quite the conundrum as I consider purchasing a Rocket 3R. I currently own a BMW R1250RT, and a 2022 Kawasaki H2SXSE. I also reentered the muscle car hobby a year ago, and have a Mustang. I mention this because the garage is full, so it's either something has to go, or I pay for storage. I am considering just selling the car. I like it, it's fun to drive, but I have only driven it about 100 miles this year. The car show thing is pretty boring unless my wife is there, since I don't have any buddies to hang out with here. It used to be a bunch of fun when I lived back in Chicago, and I had a group of friends that came along and brought their cars. Don't really like taking it out and parking it and leaving it, since people are people, so it sits.

This brings me to the Rocket 3. I test rode a 3R in red, and I have to say it's a stunner to look at and ride. Lack of wind protection was my only complaint, so hopefully there is something that is effective yet pleasing to the eye. The Rocket reminds me of the VMax in many ways.

Triumph dealer said they would take my Mustang on trade which surprised me and everyone is giving top dollar on good used cars. That said, losing the car would be a little hard to swallow. I can afford to buy the Rocket and keep everything, but it would be an issue if I woke up tomorrow and wanted to retire (only 55). Losing the car would save hundreds each month, and I would darn sure get more than 100 miles use in a year from the Rocket.

Anyone face a similar dilemma, or have any sage words to compel me one way or another.

Hi @lieu910, Welcome to the nut house. We all LOVE our Rockets weather they are the little old 2.3 L or the massive new 2.5 L. Where are you located.? I think a vehicle that isn't driven much (like 100 miles in 8 months) probably should be sold. I sometimes have to do that myself as some of my bikes just don't get ridden much. And my Porsche just sits in the garage most days. Although the Porsche did get a 300 mile run this weekend.

Can't do it. That's the bike that will do it all. Can't do 1,000 mile days, or two up on a Rocket or an H2SXSE.

Man that’s a tough situation. I hate selling stuff that I like. I did find myself driving my 2007 Bentley GTC less and less so I let it go. Now I can fit five bikes in my part of the garage. Two of them are Rockets, one newer model and the other the first generation. I’ll tell you the new 2.5 l bike is very fun to ride. Get the quick shifter.

Hi @lieu910, Welcome to the nut house. We all LOVE our Rockets weather they are the little old 2.3 L or the massive new 2.5 L. Where are you located.? I think a vehicle that isn't driven much (like 100 miles in 8 months) probably should be sold. I sometimes have to do that myself as some of my bikes just don't get ridden much. And my Porsche just sits in the garage most days. Although the Porsche did get a 300 mile run this weekend.
I'm in San Diego.

Hello all,

Quite the conundrum as I consider purchasing a Rocket 3R. I currently own a BMW R1250RT, and .............
I'm on my third Rocket. I had an R1200RT and got my first Rocket (Classic), thinking I'd ride it a couple of months, for the experience, and then sell it. The problem was, and it not an easy decision at first, that I found I actually preferred the Rocket over the RT. Yes, the RT was more nimble, but the Rocket had that grunt and I could load it up just as easily for touring, and I found it more comfortable. Next, I upgraded to a 2011 Roadster, mostly for ABS. With saddlebags and a full windshield it would, and still does, go anywhere. Now, I also have a red 3R and love it. I also tour/camp on it, although it doesn't take on quite as much gear as the Roadster. I'm not suggesting that you get rid of the Beamer, but if you had to choose between those two you might come to the same conclusion that I did.

Wind protection sucks on the new Rockets with no good solution and nothing comes close to the air pocket you get on that RT with the electronic windscreen.

Whatever you do though, get the red 3R.

I had a similar problem with room and resolved it by building another garage. More room for more toys. By the time I sold that house I had a 40X40 shop, a 10X12 garden shed, a 25X30 garage (with 12' high sliding door), and a 18X36 RV shed. I still had another 6 acres to build on but the wifee wanted to move in town. If you have the space it's cheaper to build an out building than buy a new car.

Hello @lieu910 and welcome from Virginia.

Trade the Mustang! You don't have cold weather in San Diego unless you ride up to Ramona and Julian in winter.

I have no garage at all here, but I do have three bikes (just sold my Stratoliner a few days ago) and a pickup. The bikes live under a cover year round and are usually rotated for daily riding when each is online.

Good luck and let's see your bikes...

Back