Competition Werkes Exhaust 2020 R3

....just woke up....rubbed the sleep from my eyes...its 5 something on my day off....
reading this thread...
As some will know...my bike has arrived after 258 days waiting!...anyway, things have been happening and one of those things is a new exhaust system.
First off, it wasnt feasible to get Paul Bryant to do this as we are many many miles apart with sea in the middle as well...Paul knows and understands this...we are friends afterall.
Instead i have used a magician in town...well 2 actually. Corey worked on the John Brittan bike from the start and also worked on Andrew Strouds race machines and is a clever engineer and does beautiful work...his sidekick, James, builds custom bikes and also does beautiful work.
They are installing my new system this morning after a few weeks of designing and putting ideas together,...they just built a system for my cobbers 'R' model.
The bikes retain the stock covers and shields which we wanted but have a complete new guts, so from the outside the bike looks the same as stock...except for the exit pipes.
We decided to remove the cat box...which weighs 13 kilos...for 'just in case we need it' issues which may arrive down the track.
My system is a boom box with perforated pipe guts and sound fibreglass type wrapping within the box.....the box is ceramic coated and strapped into the mounts where the cat box came from.
The exit pipe is a slash cut 40mm pipe....instead of the two, one inside another you see on the stock bike.
290A9920.JPG

My build is a bit different from the first they built based on ideas they came up with from that first build.
There will be photos and vids to follow...oh!!...and today i can now twist that throttle as i have had the first service done and 'Amsoil' has been installed!!!,....WOOOOP!

Last edited:
....just woke up....rubbed the sleep from my eyes...its 5 something on my day off....
reading this thread...
As some will know...my bike has arrived after 258 days waiting!...anyway, things have been happening and one of those things is a new exhaust system.
First off, it wasnt feasible to get Paul Bryant to do this as we are many many miles apart with sea in the middle as well...Paul knows and understands this...we are friends afterall.
Instead i have used a magician in town...well 2 actually. Corey worked on the John Brittan bike from the start and also worked on Andrew Strouds race machines and is a clever engineer and does beautiful work...his sidekick, James, builds custom bikes and also does beautiful work.
They are installing my new system this morning after a few weeks of designing and putting ideas together,...they just built a system for my cobbers 'R' model.
The bikes retain the stock covers and shields which we wanted but have a complete new guts, so from the outside the bike looks the same as stock...except for the exit pipes.
We decided to remove the cat box...which weighs 13 kilos...for 'just in case we need it' issues which may arrive down the track.
My system is a boom box with perforated pipe guts and sound fibreglass type wrapping within the box.....the box is ceramic coated and strapped into the mounts where the cat box came from.
The exit pipe is a slash cut 40mm pipe....instead of the two, one inside another you see on the stock bike.
290A9920.JPG

My build is a bit different from the first they built based on ideas they came up with from that first build.
There will be photos and vids to follow...oh!!...and today i can now twist that throttle as i have had the first service done and 'Amsoil' has been installed!!!,....WOOOOP!
And your front guard, radiator cover looks great. Doing mine next week.

So as a follow up, The bike is definitely loud. The sound at idle is terrific. It does pop on decel... a lot. I asked Werkes about it and got this response:

"Popping on decel is actually a good thing. It is a sign that your bike is not running to lean.
There is a great video on YouTube posted by Dynojet explaining this.
All bikes that are running correctly have it. It is simply concealed more by the longer (large volume) canisters.
It is impossible to conceal in small canisters without leaning your bike out (which is not recommended).
Adding the Exhaust Inserts will soften the popping sound slightly. But, they will not get rid of it."

As @Paul Bryant has pointed out, decel popping is a lean condition on closed throttle.
In most cases it results from mounting an aftermarket exhaust without a proper tune. So while it is kind of a warning (showing that the bike probably runs lean), it is also a sign that the new exhaust has better airflow and may provide an actual power gain with a good tune.

Beeeeeeeehhhhhooooolllllldddddd!!! I shatt my pants when it started, it sounds immense! It sounds like a Subaru Impreza 🤪 😍😍😍😍😍😍😍

The build quality is fantastic and Dave Platt is a genuine nice guy.
How the hell did you get license plates telling the guy behind you to F off? Well done.

As @Paul Bryant has pointed out, decel popping is a lean condition on closed throttle.
In most cases it results from mounting an aftermarket exhaust without a proper tune. So while it is kind of a warning (showing that the bike probably runs lean), it is also a sign that the new exhaust has better airflow and may provide an actual power gain with a good tune.

I've got a ZR1 corvette which is 100% stock and when I'm on sport or track mode the car pops like crazy under closed throttle and deceleration. Every ZR1 does the same thing, and it doesn't mean they're out of tune. Even my stock Rocket 3R pops on decel but the factory exhaust just does a really good job of muffling the sound. Again, this is not an indication that the bike is out of tune.

I'm torn on a new exhaust, I really like the look of the stock exhaust but I'd like something that sounds a lot meaner. The Platt exhaust is way too expensive -- I'm not spending $2k on an exhaust that doesn't look as good as stock and adds negligible performance. I can get a full cat-back auto exhaust for less than the Platt. The Werkes exhaust is also too expensive for what you're getting and doesn't look as good as Dave Platt's which in turn doesn't look as good as stock. I'd pay $1k for the Platt or $500 for the Werkes if it were made of carbon fiber. Until the prices rejoin the earth's atmosphere I'll stick with the great looks of stock.

Back