Cam specifics question

Discussion in 'General Tech Talk' started by wjb, Mar 26, 2020.

Tags:
  1. wjb

wjb .060 Over

United States
    Featured Threads:
    Media:
    Ride:
    2008 Rocket III Touring
    So I've seen in print some impressive results in horsepower from cam swaps, stock to aftermarket (Carpenter, Lush, etc) but I don't think I've ever seen any details of the specifics of those cams. Does anyone have lift and duration numbers from any of those cams? Especially duration @ .050 and lobe separation angle? Or even what the stock cam's specs are? Then we could compare the characteristics of them.

2. Joesmoe

Joesmoe IMOKUR2 Staff Member

United States
    Featured Threads:
    Media:
    Ride:
    Triumph: 2014 Rocket III Touring
    Wouldn't it though. Some people (surely not you) are so callous as to deprive another man of their livelihood, by carelessly exposing trade secrets. Even in this time of ubiquitous data, some data is worth saving.

alpental, Tripps and wjb like this.
  3. ruzzle

ruzzle Moderator Staff Member

Australia
    Featured Threads:
    Ride:
    '05 Puffin Billy
    The suppliers will usually give you enough info to install and time the cams but that's it - for the reasons Paul says!

If you are REALLY determined, you could possibly plot the lobe/valve action (they may be different) with a dial gauge and degree wheel... but why would you bother?

OEM manufacturers usually give valve operating specs in their workshop manuals. Tho that was back in the days that they would let you have a workshop manual - unlike the current Rocket seems to be!

Tripps, wjb, Boog and 1 other person like this.
  4. wjb

wjb .060 Over

United States
    Featured Threads:
    Media:
    Ride:
    2008 Rocket III Touring
    OK, thanks guys. I come from an automotive background, mostly Mustangs of all years, and I can go on the web and see detailed cam specs on hundreds of cams for my car. Looks like I got spoiled by that.
    I guess since there are so few cam suppliers for the Rocket they want to keep their profiles under wraps so as not to give the competition any secret info.

Tripps, Boog, Joesmoe and 1 other person like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice