Cam chain only has 4 links vs 5

@Idaho Red Rocket 3 , I will say from reading bebsy said the gears have gotten narrower. So I would pay attention to that. I wish @Claviger , would still post. He did the research and has much more input then myself trying to repeat what he has put out there. Anyway just some thought I think I would mix them either way.

Jvheli, the gears almost never wear, if you have to try and slot then you will know why. They are hard as. The chain wears on the pins, not the plates, because it is so long .001" on each pin makes lots of difference to the chain length. Idaho, suggest you buy exact replacement chain for your vin.

Looks like only 1 version of the cam chain part is listed. Old thicker one must have been superseded.
They seemed to have changed it with the Roadsters or at least shortly before as warp says.
I used my newer Roadster chain in the Carpenter motor for many miles, the thicker older one from the 06 engine is running in the 2.5 stroker.

Newer chain link shape
upload_2019-11-14_18-48-8-png.82355

Older chain link shape
Screenshot-20200320-235924-You-Tube.jpg

Last edited:
Jvheli, the gears almost never wear, if you have to try and slot then you will know why. They are hard as. The chain wears on the pins, not the plates, because it is so long .001" on each pin makes lots of difference to the chain length. Idaho, suggest you buy exact replacement chain for your vin.
Sorry if this was bad advice. It’s common practice for many vehicles. At least the ones I’m familiar with. And many manufacturers sell them as a set for that reason. But you’ve been in far more Triumphs than I so......will shut the heck up!

Looks like only 1 version of the cam chain part is listed. Old thicker one must have been superseded.
They seemed to have changed it with the Roadsters or at least shortly before as warp says.
I used my newer Roadster chain in the Carpenter motor for many miles, the thicker older one from the 06 engine is running in the 2.5 stroker.

Newer chain link shape
upload_2019-11-14_18-48-8-png.82355

Older chain link shape
Screenshot-20200320-235924-You-Tube.jpg
And thanks for the YouTube clip on I found when looking for the timing jig

And thanks for the YouTube clip on I found when looking for the timing jig
I
@Idaho Red Rocket 3 , I will say from reading bebsy said the gears have gotten narrower. So I would pay attention to that. I wish @Claviger , would still post. He did the research and has much more input then myself trying to repeat what he has put out there. Anyway just some thought I think I would mix them either way.
Here you go Warp hope this helps the new sprocket is attached to the camshaft

IMG_20200321_104604.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Back