Buzzy's Revival: 1982 XS650SJ Heritage Special

Boog that missing screw is what holds the headlight assembly on. Use a flat blade driver between the shell and bezel where the screw is missing and pop the headlight out. That 3 foot screw adjusts the headlight aim side to side and is part of the bezel assembly. With that screw missing just pop the bezel off and the headlight is mounted to it. The blinkers are mounted inside the headlight shell with a nut and the washer is also the blinker ground line. There's only a single power line to the blinker from the flasher unit. You'll need to replace that missing screw upon reassembly if you don't want the headlight disassembling itself at the most inopportune time. Use a countersunk screw. If you change out the blinkers with LED's make sure to put an in-line resistor in or the flasher unit will blink at an extremely high rate.

I got home before sunset tonight and got a chance to fit the windshield to Buzzy.
Getting the bevel off the headlight in daylight is indeed easier, who knew? Of course I see that almost everything inside there needs to be replaced.
20211115a.jpg

The brace for the windshield does need to fit over the flasher shaft. This was a pretty easy task and I do see that the shaft on this side is bent from the tip over last week.
20211115b.jpg

Here it is loosely fastened.
20211115e.jpg

I do need some advice here guys. the left brace does not tighten down enough for me. If I try hard enough, I can get the bars to rotate. The right side tightens correctly into the riser.
20211115f.jpg

This was the hardest part to get back together. I mistakenly took it all the way out last night. That little spring is amazingly strong.
20211115g.jpg

This is it tightened up. I will need to source new grommets for this too. I cannot find any on the Arthur Fulmer website. I cannot even find this windscreen thus I think they discontinued it some time ago.
20211115i.jpg

I took it for a test ride and maintained 55mph or so for awhile. The flow of air is great, no buffeting. The top is just below my field of view. I even managed to get the headlight straight again.
20211115j.jpg

After the ride, I let the bike idle for several minutes while I stood on the leaning side. I was hoping to get it to repeat the tip over but it showed no signs of movement at all. I am now wondering if I simply did not have the kickstand fully forward when I walked away from it allowing the bike to fall.

The windscreen made a wonderful improvement to cool weather riding this morning. Temperature is 35*F here and the bike was smooth up to around 70MPH. At that speed, I noticed a slight wobble that was not present before. But the wind protection is awesome.

You might see the high speed wobble reduced after fitting the fork brace, but no guarantee. Dial up some more preload on the back shocks and see if it persists or changes where it's happening. You could also try changing the attack angle of the screen but doesn't appear to have any adjustability for angle. Glad you can ride when the weather is a "cooler."

I didn't mention this, but the Friday Pretty Pillion and I left for Florida, I find Buzzy laying on the right side. Darn mirror broke and the right front blinker lens shattered. And the lower piece of windscreen broke off as well.
20211119a.jpg
20211119b.jpg

I got home just before dark and a package from Yamaha XS650 was waiting for me.

I took the old busted blinker out, nice curve there. Kind of reminds me of when Bill Clinton brought the word Peyronie's into our vernacular.
20211129_170535.jpg

I only installed the right side tonight as the supper bell was ringing. I did get an old round mirror installed but haven't figured out how to angle it yet. That will be another day as well.
20211129_172620.jpg

I understand that I can straighten the curve and salvage the blinker by using to pieces of wood and a hammer. In may try this, nothing to lose...

Concerning the bars rotating even after tightening the clamps I would get a thin piece of sheet metal, even a piece from an aluminum can and use it as a shim between the bars and clamp. Are you sure the bolts aren't too long and bottoming out?

You may want to consider using the center stand when parking overnight. Not the first time it crash landed in dry dock.....just sayin....

I have indeed been using the center stand only of late. Two days ago I removed the cover during gale force winds we were enjoying just to make sure the winds didn't lift it off the ground...

I recall the time I spent navigating the James River around Ft. Eustis in 71/72 where the winter breezes wafted in at about 100 mph without any Fahrenheit at all. I don't believe those memories are 'fond' in any way. Good thing I live in Texas now, tomorrow and Friday will be in the 80's.........

Back