Terrible news, as I keep telling my students always have at least two escape paths, be in the proper gear so you can high tail out of the way and keep scanning side to side /forward/ backwards.
Hope your friend comes out okay sometimes you just cannot get out of the way.

Good advice. Saved my life once. I saw the truck coming on he mirrors and then heard the tires. Bike in 1st gear and a way out saved me.

@cootertwo
Was it night or day?
Shadows?
Road straight or curved?
Any sight obstructions?
Is the "investigator" a qualified collision reconstructionist?
If ya need any help/advice, let me know.

Should be fairly simple as it was a rear ending. Short of them claiming sudden emergency doctrine or someone hitting them first then pushing them I don't see getting out of it

Should be fairly simple as it was a rear ending. Short of them claiming sudden emergency doctrine or someone hitting them first then pushing them I don't see getting out of it

If you are referring to the deception doctrine, that would not be applicable here. There are many things that can mitigate responsibility for rear ending someone and they all need to be addressed. Both vehicles and the scene need to be properly investigated ASAP. Scene and vehicle evidence needs to be preserved.

I hope the people had good insurance. Florida limits only being 10k for personal Injury... or hopefully your buddy carries a um/uim policy.
Pretty sure PIP does not apply to motorcycles in Florida, contacting the lawyer was the best move before the ******* can start moving/hiding assests.

Pretty sure PIP does not apply to motorcycles in Florida, contacting the lawyer was the best move before the ******* can start moving/hiding assests.
I'm happy when Florida drivers have insurance let alone assets lol. Even without pip the state mfr is only 10/20/10. Ridiculously low.

FYI-
We had a Florida lawyer on forum here.
Can't remember his name . . .

PIP Insurance?
When motorcyclists suffer injuries in South Florida motorcycle accidents, they often want to know if they can seek coverage under Florida’s Personal Injury Insurance Protection (PIP) insurance. However, because the law doesn’t require motorcyclists to carry PIP insurance—as it is only required for vehicles with four wheels or more—the coverage does not extend to motorcyclists, even if they also have cars covered by PIP insurance.

This means that it can be difficult for injured motorcycle riders to collect the compensation they need and deserve for their injuries following a crash. The good news is that because motorcycle riders are not covered by PIP insurance, they also are not limited in the amount of damages they may recover. If the injured motorcyclist was not at fault for the wreck, he or she can pursue compensation from the negligent driver who caused the crash and collect for their medical bills, lost income, pain and suffering, and their remaining losses.

Because these cases can be complex, it is wise to have a skilled South Florida accident attorney contact the other driver’s insurance company. If you have suffered an injury in a Broward County motorcycle accident, the attorney you hire can negotiate with the insurance company, protect your interests, and help you get the most compensation possible in your case.

PIP Insurance?
When motorcyclists suffer injuries in South Florida motorcycle accidents, they often want to know if they can seek coverage under Florida’s Personal Injury Insurance Protection (PIP) insurance. However, because the law doesn’t require motorcyclists to carry PIP insurance—as it is only required for vehicles with four wheels or more—the coverage does not extend to motorcyclists, even if they also have cars covered by PIP insurance.

This means that it can be difficult for injured motorcycle riders to collect the compensation they need and deserve for their injuries following a crash. The good news is that because motorcycle riders are not covered by PIP insurance, they also are not limited in the amount of damages they may recover. If the injured motorcyclist was not at fault for the wreck, he or she can pursue compensation from the negligent driver who caused the crash and collect for their medical bills, lost income, pain and suffering, and their remaining losses.

Because these cases can be complex, it is wise to have a skilled South Florida accident attorney contact the other driver’s insurance company. If you have suffered an injury in a Broward County motorcycle accident, the attorney you hire can negotiate with the insurance company, protect your interests, and help you get the most compensation possible in your case.

Yep. But the law also only requires drivers to carry the state mfr. I've handled alot of Florida accidents (no motorcycles) and like I said if there was insurance it was very rare it was anything more than mfr. And unfortunately way too many people have no assets to take.

Back