BUMMER..another flat tire!

cootertwo

Living Legend
Ride
2013, & 2 05's R3R, 2006, 2004 Harley's, 2004 Kaw
Well, chit! Had my second flat on the rear tire yesterday. Same as last one, a great BIG hole. Must have been a bolt. Went through town after a big parade, and there was cwap all over the road, mostly candy, thrown out by some floats, etc. etc. but they also had some swamp buggies in the parade. Somebody musta dropped a bolt or two. I heard a strange noise as I cleared town, and was cruising at 70 mph. Figured it was the car ahead of me, UNTIL the bike started getting squirrelly. As soon as I started to slow down, she went to the rim. Both legs out like a kid on their first bicycle ride, and managed to get her off the road and parked. And once again realized that with a flat rear tire, the side stand holds the bike almost perfectly level. Any twitch, and she'll fall over on the right side. Made a couple phone calls, and while waiting on a trailer, not a single motorcycle stopped to see if I needed help! 3 different guys in trucks stopped, one even gave me a cold beer, and offered to use his plug kit and air pump. But I knew with having Ride-On in the tire, that had spewed out all over the inside of the fender, that it had to be another BIG hole. Last time it took 4 plugs, 2 trips to re-fill the air tank, and finally 2 cans of fix-a-flat. My good neighbor (86 yrs old) went and picked up another friends motorcycle trailer, and came to my rescue. I love my Rocket, but with it's weight, and wide tire, it is easy to punch a hole in the tire. I'll now carry many plugs, and an air pump. That's my air compressor blow gun stuck in the hole, it's that big! BUMMER

Maybe you should trade for a Touring -- just sayin'

Thank you for sharing -- that could happen to any of us (and has happened to some). Good to have friends, and for the rest of us, AAA RV PLUS.

I've got roadside coverage with Progressive, but figured they would just send the local flat bed hauler. How in the heck would you get a 800 lb motorcycle with a flat rear tire, up on a tilted flat bed without messing something up ???? Most of those guys are used to picking up a wreck, and just throw the hook on, and winch it up on it's side.

Well, chit! Had my second flat on the rear tire yesterday. Same as last one, a great BIG hole. Must have been a bolt. Went through town after a big parade, and there was cwap all over the road, mostly candy, thrown out by some floats, etc. etc. but they also had some swamp buggies in the parade. Somebody musta dropped a bolt or two. I heard a strange noise as I cleared town, and was cruising at 70 mph. Figured it was the car ahead of me, UNTIL the bike started getting squirrelly. As soon as I started to slow down, she went to the rim. Both legs out like a kid on their first bicycle ride, and managed to get her off the road and parked. And once again realized that with a flat rear tire, the side stand holds the bike almost perfectly level. Any twitch, and she'll fall over on the right side. Made a couple phone calls, and while waiting on a trailer, not a single motorcycle stopped to see if I needed help! 3 different guys in trucks stopped, one even gave me a cold beer, and offered to use his plug kit and air pump. But I knew with having Ride-On in the tire, that had spewed out all over the inside of the fender, that it had to be another BIG hole. Last time it took 4 plugs, 2 trips to re-fill the air tank, and finally 2 cans of fix-a-flat. My good neighbor (86 yrs old) went and picked up another friends motorcycle trailer, and came to my rescue. I love my Rocket, but with it's weight, and wide tire, it is easy to punch a hole in the tire. I'll now carry many plugs, and an air pump. That's my air compressor blow gun stuck in the hole, it's that big! BUMMER

Last summer I had 3 flats on my new Excedra Max in about a 3-4 month span. The 2nd one was just like yours, very big hole @ 70mph.... yea it got squirrely n I did the wishbone leg spread like you :roll: :roll: :roll: So the saying, it comes in 3's :mad:
I didn't want to ride around on plugs so I bit the bullet n bought another new one :(

****ed tires are gettin expensive! I saved the first one, figured I'd put a patch on the inside, and tube it, and put it on my hardley, but it would require a spreaded swing arm, and spacers, etc. etc.
I'm gonna plug this one, just so I can roll it around, and probably order another tire after I cool off. I've got a Harbor freight tire thing, with the motorcycle add on, just haven't bolted it down yet. Should be a lot of fun. Last rear I had done at the dealer, with a motorcycle tire machine, and it took 3 guys cursing to get it on. They probably don't want to see me again!

Last summer I had 3 flats on my new Excedra Max in about a 3-4 month span. The 2nd one was just like yours, very big hole @ 70mph.... yea it got squirrely n I did the wishbone leg spread like you :roll: :roll: :roll: So the saying, it comes in 3's :mad:
I didn't want to ride around on plugs so I bit the bullet n bought another new one :(
did i mention i still have the nail in my car tire?:D

I had a Miata which picked up a nail. I put a plug in it, and put 60,000 more miles on that tire!

I'm going to research the "DARKSIDE" thread. Most of my riding is long and straight anyhow. Wonder if there's been a flat problem with car tires?

Haven't had this experience yet, but are those fix-a-flat products effective for motorcycles? at least to get you home?

Back