Broken heated grip again

Love your post about the hand guards -- between a set of those, the deflectors from @Bedifferent -- and the heated grips, I should be all set this season.

Yeah, I found that when doing a 24-hour run (we tried and failed the Saddlesore 1000) not even heated grips combined with heated gloves really was enough, the wind chill was still a pest. But I was also underdressed so with my core chilling down, the hands and feet chilled first... I've since discovered that the only sane thing to wear as your base layer is a merino wool one. The material is magic, I swear. If you have a cotton base layer you're basically torpedoing the effect of everything else you wear on top.

Decided on posting here since it is a related topic. My bike is still at the Triumph dealer doing a number of updates including looking at my heated grips. As it turned out the ones on the bike were something called Heat Demons which goes inside the handlebar and imho suck big time. The dealer suggested replacing them with Triumph Heated Grips and I told them to go ahead and special order them. After reading all the bad reviews I called this morning to see if I can cancel the order. So my bike is gripless since they removed the old ones and I don't know what to replace them with.

Avon and Kuryakyn are no longer shipping heated grips. Triumph heated grips break. Are Oxford Heaterz the only alternative? I don't want heated gloves. I try and ride year-long at least down to 35F/2C.

Decided on posting here since it is a related topic. My bike is still at the Triumph dealer doing a number of updates including looking at my heated grips. As it turned out the ones on the bike were something called Heat Demons which goes inside the handlebar and imho suck big time. The dealer suggested replacing them with Triumph Heated Grips and I told them to go ahead and special order them. After reading all the bad reviews I called this morning to see if I can cancel the order. So my bike is gripless since they removed the old ones and I don't know what to replace them with.

Avon and Kuryakyn are no longer shipping heated grips. Triumph heated grips break. Are Oxford Heaterz the only alternative? I don't want heated gloves. I try and ride year-long at least down to 35F/2C.

Yes, when I first got my Triumph heated grips on my R3T two sets broke within a month of each other. Since then I keep a stock grip in my pannier at all times. The third set is still installed on my bike and still works great (on 'Hi' I can't hold the grip bare handed). The problem I had was the cable tearing through the grip. Admittedly, each time it happened was right after I took her wide-open (full throttle) on one of my longer trips out of town or to Montana. In my assumption, when I cranked her full the grip couldn't handle the reverse pull pressure on the cable end and it gave-way. Now that's only my assumption. I've never gone wide-open since (though I've gone almost there... careful not to now), and never had a problem since.

-MIG

Yes, when I first got my Triumph heated grips on my R3T two sets broke within a month of each other. Since then I keep a stock grip in my pannier at all times. The third set is still installed on my bike and still works great (on 'Hi' I can't hold the grip bare handed). The problem I had was the cable tearing through the grip. Admittedly, each time it happened was right after I took her wide-open (full throttle) on one of my longer trips out of town or to Montana. In my assumption, when I cranked her full the grip couldn't handle the reverse pull pressure on the cable end and it gave-way. Now that's only my assumption. I've never gone wide-open since (though I've gone almost there... careful not to now), and never had a problem since.

-MIG

That is really helpful. The dealer just called me at said that the part shipped and is on their way to them. They would charge me a restocking fee ($40-$50). Since they would do the installation, both the grips and the labor would be warranted for 2 years. I may bike the bullet and have then installed since I am not planning on taking my bike wide-open.

That is really helpful. The dealer just called me at said that the part shipped and is on their way to them. They would charge me a restocking fee ($40-$50). Since they would do the installation, both the grips and the labor would be warranted for 2 years. I may bike the bullet and have then installed since I am not planning on taking my bike wide-open.

The two that broke for me were both replaced under warranty because I had it originally ordered/installed when I purchased the bike... I'm told when purchased after the fact it's more like 30-90 days or something. I'd still make sure you request and keep your original hand-grip... just in case. You'll love the heat they put out.
-MIG

The two that broke for me were both replaced under warranty because I had it originally ordered/installed when I purchased the bike... I'm told when purchased after the fact it's more like 30-90 days or something. I'd still make sure you request and keep your original hand-grip... just in case. You'll love the heat they put out.
-MIG

I will make sure I get their warranty in writing. If they put out so much heat, I may return this pair of Dainese winter gloves that I bought last week. They haven't been worn yet since my bike wasn't back yet.

I highly recommend the Oxford grips. They're inexpensive and work well.

I don't understand the comment about not wanting heated gloves. Heat sources on motorcycles are analogous to the bad old days when homes were heated with fireplaces, and you could only get one side warm. So it is on the exposed handlebars, where the grips heat your palms and inside surfaces, while the gloves heat the outer surfaces.

The key word here is "exposed", and there has been discussion of several variations on the theme of pockets (search 'Hippo Hands' and 'Aerostich'), and my favorite (as I too have the Touring) are the deflectors made by fellow captain and forum member @Bedifferent .
To wit:
What do you think?....Hand wind deflectors

Joe,
Thanks for your feedback as I have read you ride in the winter as well. My comment regarding the gloves stems from the fact that I have been wearing skiing gloves with liners and the seemingly defective heated grips, so I went ahead and bought these $180 riding gloves. If the heated grips are as warm as Michael says then perhaps I can keep using my skiing gloves.

I am planning on ordering a set of wind deflectors from Bedifferent.

I highly recommend the Oxford grips. They're inexpensive and work well.

I don't understand the comment about not wanting heated gloves. Heat sources on motorcycles are analogous to the bad old days when homes were heated with fireplaces, and you could only get one side warm. So it is on the exposed handlebars, where the grips heat your palms and inside surfaces, while the gloves heat the outer surfaces.

The key word here is "exposed", and there has been discussion of several variations on the theme of pockets (search 'Hippo Hands' and 'Aerostich'), and my favorite (as I too have the Touring) are the deflectors made by fellow captain and forum member @Bedifferent .
To wit:
What do you think?....Hand wind deflectors

Okay @Joesmoe, I haven't heard from you as to what you think of the deflectors I have cooked up. Have you had a good chance to try the deflectors out? Have you found them to be effective in diverting most of the wind around your hands? I have enough parts made up to put together 5 sets, but I can do more once my hands are fully healed up. I still haven't decided on a price yet as they are a little pricy and time consuming to make, but with the laser cut plastic pieces that has made for a nice touch. They look pretty good and are further improved with the set screw inserts. After I get a review we'll see where the interest goes. @Bob R can chime in on the set I helped him make as well, but Bob....there have been some nice improvements.

I would like to see the improvements. The ones I have work fine when on the small windshield. I didn't have them on my large windshield long enough to try them out properly. The ones I have do a great job of deflecting the wind, to the point I gave up my quest for heated gloves. I just use winter glove and make sure my hands are out of the wind stream and they stay plenty warm.

bob

Back