Bias and radial tire combo

eugene

.020 Over
Ride
2005 TR3
just noticed that the bike (2005 roaster)I bought has a Bias on front and radial on the back. Don't sound like a safe combo to me. YOUR THOUGHTS!!!

Some folks would say don't worry about it, but I am nutty about having the same brand and model on each end, so I certainly won't condone mixing bias and radial....BUT if you must mix them the radial must be on the rear. That has always been the rule going back to the days when radials were rare and expensive for cars, and folks would buy two, and it was said if you can only get two, put them on the non steering axle. Part of the problem for a bike as I see it is different braking characteristics between bias and radial. Also, curve taking response is going to be different too...one end might stick like glue while the other wants to wander. Don't need that. But if you ride and can't feel anything quirky about it, go ahead and wear them out, and then treat yourself to a matched set of whatever suits your fancy.

Old wives tales , I did over 20,000Ks on my R3T with the Radial rear Avon and the Bias Exedra Max front and it never caused me any problems, my tyre guy put me onto the Bias front for such a heavy bike just like the bigger Harleys,

Some folks would say don't worry about it, but I am nutty about having the same brand and model on each end, so I certainly won't condone mixing bias and radial....BUT if you must mix them the radial must be on the rear. That has always been the rule going back to the days when radials were rare and expensive for cars, and folks would buy two, and it was said if you can only get two, put them on the non steering axle. Part of the problem for a bike as I see it is different braking characteristics between bias and radial. Also, curve taking response is going to be different too...one end might stick like glue while the other wants to wander. Don't need that. But if you ride and can't feel anything quirky about it, go ahead and wear them out, and then treat yourself to a matched set of whatever suits your fancy.
My R3T came from the factory with a radial rear and bias front.

the old wifes tale?
that the radial goes on the back
i was told many many many years ago that a bais tire would not follow a radial tire
never put it to the test. and would not test it on the rocket.
but the rocket guys likes to form their own opinion:laugh::laugh:

the old wifes tale?
that the radial goes on the back
i was told many many many years ago that a bais tire would not follow a radial tire
never put it to the test. and would not test it on the rocket.
but the rocket guys likes to form their own opinion:laugh::laugh:
Not an opinion if my R3T came factory with radial rear bias front. More if a fact I reckon....

Back