Beetles and a trailer hitch

boogerdave

Nitrous
I'm just starting to put things together and am wondering if anyone out there has tried to fit corbin beetle bags with a trailer hitch? Does it work? I really like the look of the bags but they fit awfully close and I dont want to drop that kind of cash if I have to start cutting on things.

A trailer hitch......Wadda you think you got there, a Goldwing?

Just remember, a trialer hitch wil instantly void the warranty if that you care about it (the warranty). Seems as though Triumph could give a hoot about it.

My idea is if you need to pull a trailer, do it behind your car or stay in a motel. I've never collected enough junk to have to put it in a trailer behind a bike.

Easy there . . . no need to get nasty . . . Goldwing??
Nah, my bride and I have a bad habit of heading out for 2-4 weeks at a time once in a while. That was the reason I just bought the bike. I just got back from a 20 day 7000 mile trip on a Road Star with a 107" Orient Express kit. My backside told me to find something else to ride and I aint a goldwing kind of guy. I attached a pic of my previous ride from this last trip

Attachments

• roadie.jpg
    roadie.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 218
I too have interest in dragging a trailer. Hitchdoc.com has two derivation to their design for the RIII. One with and one without panniers. That would be English for saddlebags. You might inquire about the variation, if any, for Beetle Bags.

Last edited:
Easy there . . . no need to get nasty . . . Goldwing??
Nah, my bride and I have a bad habit of heading out for 2-4 weeks at a time once in a while. That was the reason I just bought the bike. I just got back from a 20 day 7000 mile trip on a Road Star with a 107" Orient Express kit. My backside told me to find something else to ride and I aint a goldwing kind of guy. I attached a pic of my previous ride from this last trip

It seems as if the Smokie Mountain overlooks on the Parkway are favorite shots.

The Rock has the power so long as the timing chain is up to it. I just wanted to point out the trailer hitch voids the warranty according to Triumph. That might be a problem is you did have any mechanical problems

I did a week and a half this summer. I ran out of duds in Nashville so I just went to Wally World and bought some more (I mailed my dirty dities back home). If I was really in a pinch, I'd just stop at a truck stop and use a washer and dryer. All truck stops have a laundramat. How do ya think truck drivers living for months at a time on the road do it?

But Flipper, you know the wifey needs her hair dryer(s), iron, an assortment of hair rollers, three changes of clothes per day, make-up and reflection mirrors, her Almeda Marcos shoes assortment, and of course play toys. These aren't manly requirements, you know how to wash the extra skivvies in the sink, but they are main requirements :D

yo booger, that's a good habit! Keep it up :D

There is quite a bit of room under the bags. The hitches I've seen all mount low so I wouldn't be surprised if a hitch would work with the Beetles.. It wouldn't take much to modify the Beetle's mounts to space them out some either to clear hitch brackets if need be. Because most hitches are different, you may have to find a Rocket with a hitch on it and take some measurements and see what's what.

Flip won't pull a trailer but he'll hook up a sidecar :confused:

There is quite a bit of room under the bags. The hitches I've seen all mount low so I wouldn't be surprised if a hitch would work with the Beetles.. It wouldn't take much to modify the Beetle's mounts to space them out some either to clear hitch brackets if need be. Because most hitches are different, you may have to find a Rocket with a hitch on it and take some measurements and see what's what.

Flip won't pull a trailer but he'll hook up a sidecar :confused:

Yep. It voided the warranty too. I wasn't worried about the warranty on the Bonnie. It's basically a Briggs and Stratton on 2 wheels. and I figured with Triumph's ignoring of the spoke problem if I lost the rear hoop, I'd just have a set of shoulderless Boranni's laced to the hubs with heavier stainless spokes. Buchannans specializes in that. I 'ring' my spokes regularly and I've had no nipple seperation....yet. The 790 was built to British Motor Police specifications. Besides, 'pulling' a sidecar from the side with a triangulated frame solidly attached to the motorcycle chassis at four points is a lot different than pulling a trailer behind the Rocket that basically has no frame behind the vertical's between the engine and the tins. You have a bolt on subframe for the seat, airbox and assorted junk and that's it. Not a lot of meat back there to pull your meat around with....

I too have interest in dragging a trailer. Hitchdoc.com has two derivation to their design for the RIII. One with and one without panniers. That would be English for saddlebags. You might inquire about the variation, if any, for Beetle Bags.

Rocky:

I wonder if you could get a trailer with a swing out lounge bar complete with live entertainment......that would be right up your alley.......

Kick 'er back:)

Back