Beetles and a trailer hitch

I think that this trip was more my junk. Camping gear, all my dive gear (went diving in Maine and Ontario), guitar (in case I have to play on the street corner for gas money), you know . . . essentials. Its kind of funny about the warranty thing, I told the dealer I was going to put one on there and he said if I couldnt find on to fit it, he knew someone who could build me one. Never said anything about voiding the warranty. BUT . . I have wrenches . . . what goes on can come off before taking to dealer. That's what I did until the warranty was up on the yamaha. ;) I ended up ordering some other bags from new bonneville.com for now. I'm sure I'll run across a Rocket with beetles I can actually "hands on" look at soon. I ordered the hitch from Hitch Doc . .. same place as the yammie hitch so let the wrenchin' begin.

Trailer Hitch

I've had one on order since July from Hitch USA. I think it's made in Canada. They called yesterday morning and said it was being shipped out today. Once I get it and install it I'll post a photo. I have no idea what it looks like I ordered it because it was $100 less then Hitch Doc. I have Beetles so I'm going to try and modify things so I can use them with the hitch. If it doesn't work I have a set of Leather Lykes I can use instead of the Beetles. Although, to me the Beetles beat the heck out of the Leather Lykes for looks and fit. Since I don't use my camper more than a couple three times a year I may remove the hitch when I'm not towing the trailer. I'll just have to wait and see how much trouble it is to install.

JR

If you have any kind of a dealer at all the hitch should not be a issue. Anything short of total distruction of the driveline, he should not give a rip. My dealer didn't bat an eye when I installed the goodyear. and a trailer hitch should'nt be any different. If you can pull a trailer with a belt on a Hardley, a driveshaft shouldn't be a problem. After all a dealer should be working for you not Triumph. He knows where the cash comes from:cool:.

Is anything 'made by hand' now days. Probably made in some third world sweatshop and the (manufacturer) is waiting for the boat to come in........

There seems to be little dissemination between manufacturer and distributor these days......

Least my stuff is made in the USA though I can't account for the origin of the material.

Well the hitch and the bags got here yesterday . . . The hardware that came with the hitch isnt long enough for the bike with a backrest. THEN . . the rivco bags are kicked out nearly an inch besides that. I messed with it until about 11:00 last night and decided to trim the mounts for the bags, get slightly longer bolts and give it another try. But hey . . . the hitch looks great and will fit just fine when I get it all worked out. Lodge meeting tonight but back for another try tomorrow night.

I went by the dealer last weekend and talked to him about the hitch, his view was that the hitch is no issue to him, other dealers along the road but here. . . . no biggie.

Hey Boogerdave

Just a thought, or suggestion. On the front two bolts for your saddlebag/hitch attachment you might want to consider a bushing to go inside the frame hole, as this hole is very large. That is what I did when I mounted my saddlebag/ backrest bracket. I got it (the bushing) at a tractor supply store. the 10mm bolt goes through it and the OD fits inside the hole of the front attach point. It will leave you with a much more stable fix. Rademis

Back