Beaver Wiring For Fog Lamps

gman10259

.020 Over
Have any of you guys installed the beaver wiring kit for the R3T with fog lamps? Do I need the kit with the extra lead or is the standard kit for tr touring model sufficient?

Thanks for the feedback

I bought the one with the extra lead for my Touring. It wasn't that much more and it shuts off the fog lights on high beam. Since I don't have fog lights I'm being proactive for when I decide to go that route. Marty;)

Why would you want to shut the fog lights off on high beam?

That is an excellent question. In most states you are allowed to have four lights on at one time (two low beams and two fog lights or two high beams and two fog lights) facing forward.

The most obvious example to use is the Honda Gold Wing. It has four lights that could be on facing forward without the use of fog lights but if it is equipped with fog lights and they are on as well you could have six lights on facing forward which would be against the law. Their headlights work so that if the fog lights are in use either the low beams or the high beams can be on but not both which makes it a legal lighting set up.

Hope that answers your question.

Dennis

To answer the question the OP asked: yes, get the one with the extra lead. It will brighten all the lamps.

Now to completely hijack this thread and address Marty's question. This is an interesting topic that I have been debating with the guy that does my inspections. His simple explanation is that in Virginia it is illegal to burn fog lamps with high beams. I'm not so sure that this is true.

In looking at the Virginia Code, 19VAC30-70-160. Auxiliary lamps: backup; cornering; driving; fog; spot and warning (http://lis.virginia.gov/cgi-bin/legp604.exe?000+reg+19VAC30-70-160), there appears to be more to it than the simple explanation above.

First off, you have to pay attention to the type of light being fitted.

A. Auxiliary lamps on a vehicle consist of seven general types: backup lamps (SAE-R), cornering lamps (SAE-K), driving lamps (SAE-Y), front fog lamps with an amber or clear lens (SAE-F and rear fog lamps with red lens (SAE-F2), spot lamps (SAE-O), warning lamps (SAE-W, W2, W3), and daytime running lamps (DRLs) (SAE-Y2).

Of interest here are Driving (SAE-Y) and front fog (SAE-F) lights.

Section D makes a relevant blanket statement:

D. No more than four lamps, including two headlamps, may be lighted at any time to provide general illumination ahead of the vehicle.

Section I, paragraph 10 talks about driving lights:

10. Driving lamps are not required. However, if installed they must operate and be inspected.

Inspect for and reject if:

... <removed sections not relevant> ...

h. Driving lamps are not wired so that they will burn only when the high beams of the regular headlamps are activated;

So this reads as driving lights must be wired so that they burn only when high beams are activated. Correct?

Now Section I, paragraph 11 talks about fog lights:

11. Fog lamps are not required. However, if installed they must operate and be inspected.

Inspect for and reject if:

a. A vehicle may be equipped with more than two fog lamps; however, not more than two fog lamps can be illuminated at any time;

b. Lamps are not of an approved type (DOT or SAE-F on front or F2 on rear plus two-digit year and manufacturer) or a lamp has been altered;

f. Any fog lamp is mounted above the level of the regular headlamps, or is not mounted firmly;

g. Lamps are not wired and aimed according to the following instructions:

(1) Fog lamps are general illumination lamps as covered in subsection A of this section. They must burn through the tail light circuit even if on a separate switch. If installed on a vehicle with a four-headlamp system, or a vehicle equipped with driving lamps, they must be wired into the low beam circuit.

So if I'm reading this right, there is no restriction to burning fog lights full time on the Rocket as it only has one or two headlights.

Thanks guys for the feedback...Just curious if any of you had already done this. My fog lamps were part of the Triumph accessory package that was added to the 2011 model. The fog lamps have there own switch so I do not know if they are wired separately from the head lights or tie off them. Will have to check the prints. FYI At night I run my fog lamps at all times low or high beam.. doesn't make sense to me to kill the fog lamps because turn on the high beams..

In my experience fog lights with high beam is counter productive, living in an area with low lying roads (hilly) and the added benefit of four legged friends that like to dart out of the fog, high beam light tends to glare back and reduce visibility. Driving lights are a different story, the harness I bought was for fog lights. I hope this clears the air (and the fog!!)

The only time I turn my fogs off is when I am in a group of riders at night. I don't want to blind the rider in front of me through his mirrors. Other than that, they stay on. High beams during the day, low beams at night.

Gents, just to keep this going, where would you hook up that extra lead for the foglamps???

Back