Android Voice Commands (AWESOME!)

EskimoPie

Supercharged
Ride
2021 Rocket 3 GT
I'd been struggling with using my Cardo headset commands combined with android "Hey Google" commands to control my phone. Things never quite worked right, it was a real struggle to get to and use my garage door app or music app, or even respond to a quick text from my wife. My gloves really don't work well with the screen.

I found this article and it's AMAZING now! I can access everything with my voice that I could with my fingers, all through my Cardo headset without taking my hands off the handlebars. You have to install a "Voice Control" app from google, but then I just activate that once via a "Hey Google Voice Access" command and from there it's just as simple as saying "swipe", "scroll", "tap OK", etc. Works great and I wish I knew about this sooner!

Android's secret voice control superpowers

I realize some will say you shouldn't be interacting with your phone AT ALL while riding. Everybody can make that choice on their own. My own personal risk position feels it's an acceptable way to increase the riding enjoyment with minimal need to take your eyes off the road.

Hope this helps others!

I'd been struggling with using my Cardo headset commands combined with android "Hey Google" commands to control my phone. Things never quite worked right, it was a real struggle to get to and use my garage door app or music app, or even respond to a quick text from my wife. My gloves really don't work well with the screen.

I found this article and it's AMAZING now! I can access everything with my voice that I could with my fingers, all through my Cardo headset without taking my hands off the handlebars. You have to install a "Voice Control" app from google, but then I just activate that once via a "Hey Google Voice Access" command and from there it's just as simple as saying "swipe", "scroll", "tap OK", etc. Works great and I wish I knew about this sooner!

Android's secret voice control superpowers

I realize some will say you shouldn't be interacting with your phone AT ALL while riding. Everybody can make that choice on their own. My own personal risk position feels it's an acceptable way to increase the riding enjoyment with minimal need to take your eyes off the road.

Hope this helps others!
Awesome you figured this out. ...and like you said everyone has a choice and folks need to "Ride their own ride..." I can see the benefits and I'm sure this will help some folks out. I've taken two calls on a motorcycle and decided it wasn't for me. Folks know I'm not reachable when I ride... and for me there's a peace in just focusing on the road; often listening to music...
Ride On!
-MIG

Glad you solved that! Configure correctly IOT takes some time but its awesome once it works... That reminds me that I got the cardo because my wife wanted a way to listen to her music and to communicate with me when riding in the passenger seat ( I never answer calls in the bike) ... Before that I use to ride without music, just riding alone with my thoughts. Now that I have the cardo, I enjoy some background music when riding alone....

But the other day riding in one of those florida highways with the wife in the back, I saw something interesting I wanted to point her out... I raise my hand to press the button in the cardo to communicate with her and just in that same moment, I saw a large sheet of 3/4" plywood in the highway appearing under the car in front of me.... lucky me I had some space between me and the car (because most times in Miami cars get in my 4 mississippi's separation from the car in front) and I was able to get both hands in the handlebar and hit it in the middle and all was good....

Probably having the voice command for the cardo would have helped so to have both hands in the handlebar all the time, but the best decision for me right now its to minimize distractions cardo included. That day I counted 4 large things in the highways.... a typical count in miami. I lost the count how many sofas, mattress and other large things have seen in the 95.... once a rope!!!! got tangled in my left boot and peg in the highway...

Glad you solved that! Configure correctly IOT takes some time but its awesome once it works... That reminds me that I got the cardo because my wife wanted a way to listen to her music and to communicate with me when riding in the passenger seat ( I never answer calls in the bike) ... Before that I use to ride without music, just riding alone with my thoughts. Now that I have the cardo, I enjoy some background music when riding alone....

But the other day riding in one of those florida highways with the wife in the back, I saw something interesting I wanted to point her out... I raise my hand to press the button in the cardo to communicate with her and just in that same moment, I saw a large sheet of 3/4" plywood in the highway appearing under the car in front of me.... lucky me I had some space between me and the car (because most times in Miami cars get in my 4 mississippi's separation from the car in front) and I was able to get both hands in the handlebar and hit it in the middle and all was good....

Probably having the voice command for the cardo would have helped so to have both hands in the handlebar all the time, but the best decision for me right now its to minimize distractions cardo included. That day I counted 4 large things in the highways.... a typical count in miami. I lost the count how many sofas, mattress and other large things have seen in the 95.... once a rope!!!! got tangled in my left boot and peg in the highway...
Yes... one day headed home from work on the turnpike a truck was leaving a trail of cut palms down the middle of the lane... :confused:

For years I've used a handlebar control... but recently got tired of it as the clutch handle hits it and my reach to the horn & turn signals are hampered. I kinda miss it, but now when I ride with my bride I just leave the comm link hot and am unable to mute the music at when stopped (I keep her in gear) or rolling through an ECP.
-MIG

Actually, I'm not as enamored with this capability as I first thought. When I was playing with it I was sitting in a parking lot with my helmet on and motor off. I'm pretty sure it was just picking my voice up directly on the phone. When I'm riding, I don't believe the bluetooth voice connection stays active continuously from my Cardo to my phone. I can still use the Cardo supported "OK Google", but that opens up the reglular (and fairly annoying) OK Google interface vs. the slick and more capable voice access interface. I can launch voice access from OK Google, but then it seems to loose the voice connection to the phone unless I say "OK Google" again. Anybody know if it's possible to have Cardo keep the voice connection to the phone active continuously?

Back