Android gauges

Doing a little more research, I did find one User review who was using an OBDLink LX Bluetooth adapter with Torque Pro- now those are relatively more expensive - $60
But in his video (it was a Subaru WRX) it did appear to have minimal lag on the tach indication - so perhaps that combo might be viable

So you would really have to try and see with the Rocket - I know @Kevin frazier has that adapter so perhaps he can try it and see how it performs when he gets bike back from Tuner

The adapter wouldn't be total waste of money, as will still work with TuneECU (although cheaper adapter options are available and you definitely need the cable regardless for re-mapping)

My one gripe about my R3 Touring is that it doesn't have a tachometer. I like tachometers. I have grown, over the years, to rely on tachometers. I have a tachometer on every car I own. I have gone so far as to declare my home a "sanctuary garage" for tachometers. Heck, even my weed wacker has a tachometer. (ok, it doesn't. I always go one step too far).

Anywho, I would like to monitor engine operations including RPM and other information with an android device and a bluetooth OBD2 scanner.
I have ordered a new android phone that will be here soon and would like to use my old phone as a dash display. I'd appreciate advice and experiences from those of you that have done this like, what plug in did you get and are you happy with it. Can just any android device be set up to display the information from the scanner? Junk like that.
If money is no issue and you really want more information than just rpm's, I think you can buy a power commander v and a POD 300 display. I don't have one, but I think some of the guys do and it shows rpm, throttle position, afr....

Pretty much ANY OBD scanner will report RPM's. - but as Ken says - the minute you slip Bluetooth (pre BT5) into the equation expect delay.
IIRC some have had good results with the SCAN Guage II » ScanGauge II

If you have a PCV fitted already, then the POD offers a display and (for me more importantly) logging.

I have to confess that, whilst I like a Tacho, it's usually fairly anecdotal on the road (resident looneys excepted) - And the other data flickering is a distraction.

My favorite speedo/tacho is just a series of coloured lights. And if you were feeling a bit R&D-ish - then the Shift-P2 - Ecliptech is excellent. But you will need to find a way to shelter it from direct water spray. I have one on my R3 - driven from a VERY accurate GPS sensor - it has NO delay at all. If you take the route - get the pro version and use the STAGEING function.

More research - as I suggested above, I saw a hint in one video that showed a pretty quick response with minimal lag using an OBDLink device; that was only a vert short segment with a quick throttle blip and I wanted to see something more
So I searched around on YT specifically searching on OBDLink
I found this video review -

It's got a lot of information on there so nice to watch it all - for the salient point however, skip to about the 8 min mark. Here's the thing though - see my question/comment in the comments below, which was kindly answered very promptly by the poster. It DOES show VERY good response, although you have to ignore the embedded window and look straight to the display itself. (This will make more sense when you actually watch the video and read my comment and its answer - if you sort by date, mine is the most recent and of course my user name is recognizable :D.)
The OBDLink comes with its own app too with a lot of detail on the features included in that video.

Here's the other reminder though - it also depends on the speed of the ECU. I'm pretty sure that my Sagem will be laggy regardless; The Keihin capability however is unknown to me -for sure is going to be better than the Sagem, just not sure if will be as good as the vehicles I have seen and specifically like that video above.

Here's another excellent review comparing OBD2 devices although it just talks about data transmission rates with no video showing actual on screen performance.
OBDLink comes out on top

The guy above re-did the test to show phone and OEM gauges in same image

It's not perfect but it's actually pretty good, good enough to dispel my previous misgivings I would say. I think a lot of this is down to the device and in this case, you get what you pay for (although it would certainly be interesting if any users of other adapters can post their experience too)

@Kevin frazier has just tested his OBDLink and reports similar - hopefully he'll post up a video later

Excellent demo @Kevin frazier
As we discussed off-line, it almost looks like it is ahead of the Daytona - however I think more likely, that is a calibration factor in the indication of one device vs the other (i.e. the indicated value, as opposed to the response time) - either way, it for sure does not lag much if anything!
I think that is down to the speed of the OBDLink device and certainly counters my argument early in the thread. I'd still like to see comparison if any other members have cheap ELM devices, and how they do. (I have a VGate and the delay there I think is less to do with the device, but the Sagem ECM in my bike - so can't make a fair comparison from my end)
Again, the app that comes with the OBDLink looks excellent! A TON of features in it.

Absolutely im gonna use it to practice my 60’ times, the OBDLink lx is a very good piece, im ordering a holder for my samsung tablet to use.

Back