Advice needed, exhaust strategy

on my last bike i just dreamed what i wanted then i built it. Fortunatly my dad has every thing you need to build whatever you want. I had a thunderbird storm and i built magna flow exhuast tip slide ons. It was loud. Sounded bad ass but it hurt my ears on the longer trips. So then i built custom baffles and it toned her down a tad but was still loud ennough to save lives. Probably sounded better with the baffles. Honesty she sounded amazing..... anyhow what im getting at is maybe you can dream what you want then go to your local metal shop and have them build it for you. As far as power goes your taking a gamble but id you apply the science it should work out and hey! You can get those heat shields added to the equation. I think what im going to do is a custom ss polished header with some nice tips. But we will see....

on my last bike i just dreamed what i wanted then i built it. Fortunatly my dad has every thing you need to build whatever you want. I had a thunderbird storm and i built magna flow exhuast tip slide ons. It was loud. Sounded bad ass but it hurt my ears on the longer trips. So then i built custom baffles and it toned her down a tad but was still loud ennough to save lives. Probably sounded better with the baffles. Honesty she sounded amazing..... anyhow what im getting at is maybe you can dream what you want then go to your local metal shop and have them build it for you. As far as power goes your taking a gamble but id you apply the science it should work out and hey! You can get those heat shields added to the equation. I think what im going to do is a custom ss polished header with some nice tips. But we will see....

Thanks for your advice and your service JeRome! I think I'm still trying to sort out in my head what I want the bike to look like and there are so many options already available that I'm sure one of them will be a fit- I just need to sort out what the end state looks and performs like.

So which style and manufacturer did you decide to go for?

Jury is still out at the moment, considering two very different looks for my ride, need to sort that and then, as is usual with such things, write a big check and prepare to explain to my bride the many reasons why said upgrade is absolutely necessary for reasons of safety, fuel efficiency, and likely climate change as well (it will be a hundred years before I can be proven wrong).

In the meantime, I downloaded Ulf Penner's late Roadster tune into the ECU and...you can feel and perhaps even hear, the difference. It is smoother throughout and really wants to get up and go in 3- 5 gear, I have to watch it or I find myself blasting down country roads or the freeway at 80+. I'm pretty sure this is how life is meant to be :)

Back