Accessory mount options - no windscreen

alpental

Turbocharged
Ride
2014 Rocket III Roadster
I could use a little advice on how to successfully mount accessories on bikes without any sort of windscreen or flyscreen, just a naked Roadster. I want to mount my phone and use it for navigation, as well as run a charging cable to it, underneath the gauges if possible (gotta check the clearance when turning), or at least just to the right of the gauges.

The plan is to get a Powerlet cigarette socket kit and tuck it either in the now-empty under-seat filter area or the area under the tank where the air intake plumbing used to be.
http://www.powerlet.com/shop-by-veh...et-battery-leads-standard-duty-10-amp/383/754

Next pick up a fast charger, plug it in, and route the end up under the tank and coming out by the gauges, zip tying to a phone mount.
http://www.verizonwireless.com/acce...er-with-fast-charge-technology-for-micro-usb/

Last, pick up a mount, maybe this one:
http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/ram-mounts-finger-grip-holder-kit

My concerns are:
  1. Will the wind at triple digits blow the mount (this mount, any mount) around?
  2. Will the wind blow the USB cable out of the phone?
  3. Will the vibrations cause the phone charger to vibrate out of the socket?
Any insight, recommendations, or successes/failures would be much appreciated!

Check out the RaM website good solid gear and make assorted of things, not cheap but top Quality, even some of the top GPS makers like Garmin and TomTom use their mount systems as part of their packages

I had my iPhone6 Plus blow out of the x-grip at 80+ on the interstate. It was in a life proof case and I've still got the phone. I also have the smaller x-grip size mount and it held my iPhone5 very well. That said, you really should have some kind of wind buffer if you are using the x-grip.

I had my iPhone6 Plus blow out of the x-grip at 80+ on the interstate. It was in a life proof case and I've still got the phone. I also have the smaller x-grip size mount and it held my iPhone5 very well. That said, you really should have some kind of wind buffer if you are using the x-grip.
I too use the X grip with my iPhone6+ Good to know some extra security required....

I've had my Galaxy 5 come out of my XGrip too. Luckily it was plugged in, so it didn't fall to the road before I could grab it.

Take a look at this RAM High Strength Composite Spring Loaded Cradle for Cell Phones

I use one and it has never dropped anything. Holds a Galaxy S5 in the lifeproof case...barely. The back should break the wind enough so that it doesn't blow out

I like that design a lot more than the Ram X. It looks like the cradle takes the force of the wind instead of the phone. So the failure point would be the cradle-to-handlebar mount connection (which I trust much more) instead of the cradle-to-phone connection. Thanks, I'll look into this.

Never had anything come off a RAM ball mount; even at 140mph cruising on the autobahn.
@alpental, there's a plugged accessory (power let) spot on the left side cover forward of the frame behind the oil tank. There should also be capped plugs for it too unless they've changed something with the new models.

Back