A little perplexed and curious.

OPTION not RECOMENDATION - But with the Michie the recommended strongly against reversal. Based on THAT specific marque and tyre.

Steve - I do not pretend to be a TYRE expert - but these guys actually visit Avon, Metzler, Bridgestone (EU), Michelin etc regularly.
They don't just do bike rubber, they do cars, trucks, and heavy machinery. I think they have a pretty good idea.

And trust matters. As you say - Think on that when at speed - I don't have to, because I trust their knowledge and not just "street lore".

I do NOT choose to ride in the rain if I don't have to. But my long sustained high-ish speed trips for a month or so meant that RAIN was probable somewhere and thus wet weather grip on maybe (certainly in Spain) greasy roads is a foregone conclusion of necessity. And in the UK - well you can guess. This matters far more to me than de-lamination by riding close to the tyres dry load/speed rating - which I will never achieve on an R3. I don't "trailer" - leastways never have done; it might be something the future brings though I doubt it. Would be cheaper to keep a spare bike in the UK. I should maybe add that I am VERY sparse on brake use (and any tyre stress therefrom resulting). I cannot actually remember the last time I changed pads except in a full rebuild. OK I can - was the missus car.

This is all making the best of a poor situation anyway. None of this would even matter if there was a decent Z rated tyre to R3 spec available.

I've used the tyre place exclusively for all my tyres (bike,car 4wd) since I've lived where I am now - some 20 years. Their advice has always been honest and often in contrary to their wallets gain. And yes I do check prices elsewhere. But for a tenner difference - why go elsewhere?

You are free to do as you see fit naturally - but I will always ask their opinions and if they make a STRONG recommendation - follow it.

No problema, Amigo! Apologies if I came on too strong.
Absolutely go your own way. I was just enjoying a good debate with a friend,
My issue is that I do not place opinions over science.
Blow Kiss.jpg Bow2.gif Mea culpa

I was just enjoying a good debate with a friend,
Ditto - Some definitions of SCIENCE
  • noun The observation, identification, description, experimental investigation, and theoretical explanation of phenomena.
  • noun Such activities restricted to a class of natural phenomena.
  • noun A systematic method or body of knowledge in a given area.
  • noun Archaic Knowledge, especially that gained through experience.
Newton and Galileo or Einstein and Higgs? - Religion or Faith? - And Finally - Internet or Person? - heretical ramblings eh!.

I would probably not run a tire backwards myself, like Darksiders, it's just personal choice. As far as science, I guess I would say it's on the side of it wasn't designed to be run backwards and it probably wasn't ever tested running backwards at high speed. Like car tires and forward controls, when someone wins the Isle of Mann running a backwards tire, I might be more open.

I would probably not run a tire backwards myself, like Darksiders, it's just personal choice. As far as science, I guess I would say it's on the side of it wasn't designed to be run backwards and it probably wasn't ever tested running backwards at high speed. Like car tires and forward controls, when someone wins the Isle of Mann running a backwards tire, I might be more open.
On Crossplies it's tried and trusted. But they flex very differently.
My Guzzi's Avons are front/rear contra-rotation marked. And after all Avon invented the square Bike Tyre - the SM.
I dare say in the 1930's somebody ran (maybe won) a TT with a tyre on backwards.

But radials AFAIK have never been so marked.
There are scooter tyres that are front/rear rated and single direction and others that are counter rotated.

I've seen photos (on here I think) of radials that have de-laminated despite being correctly mounted and homologated.

When someone used the tyres they race on at IOM on their daily street rider then I will be very impressed.

Ditto - Some definitions of SCIENCE
  • noun The observation, identification, description, experimental investigation, and theoretical explanation of phenomena.
  • noun Such activities restricted to a class of natural phenomena.
  • noun A systematic method or body of knowledge in a given area.
  • noun Archaic Knowledge, especially that gained through experience.
Newton and Galileo or Einstein and Higgs? - Religion or Faith? - And Finally - Internet or Person? - heretical ramblings eh!.

Yes on your definition.
Study, experimentstion, and treaises.
The rest is not fact based.

Back