A few questions/comments from a new R3 owner

Captain Rich

Supercharged
John, the 'false' shift to first is something the bike is notorious for - it's happende on 2 demo's I rode and my own '06 Classic and I've heard it from others...it doesn't go away with time and the dealer says that they all do that. I've learned to listen for the 'clunk' and when I don't hear it I let the clutch out a bit while pressing down and it slips in (that beats having it pop back out - which it will - at an inopportune moment). As to the other concerns: I've got around 7500 miles on mine and haven't experienced either of these problems - the drive train shift is loud, but nothing that occurs after the shift that I can recall (during break-in or later) and my roll-on is smooth with no loss of power - let's see if others agree, but if the roll-on problem persists, I'd get your dealer to look at it. :)

JohnGalt said:
Occasionally on beginning to move away from a stoplight or on shifting (only from 1st to 2nd that I can recall) I hear a single fairly loud clunk from the rear of the bike. I'm guessing that's my not yet smooth enough throttle management lashing the drivetrain but I'm not certain. It's not persistent, just a single clunk that happens at times I might expect to hear one. Anything to be concerned about?

Sounds like your not used to a bike with a driveline. Pretty soon you will be controling the bike without that clunk. It will become second nature and you won't be giving it a thought at all.

I've had trouble getting the bike into 1st gear from neutral probably a quarter of the time. Very occasionally when using the toe shifter it lands in neutral rather than second on the upshift but has never done that when I used the heel shifter. From what I've read here the former is normal and will smooth out a few thousand miles down the road (my '99 Tiger did the same) and I'm guessing the latter might indicate a need for a bit of adjustment of the shifter mechanism?

The cause is square gears, some say it gets better with age. I have had to get into the habit of applying pressure to 1st gear and slipping the clutch until it slides in (you will feel it go in). I think this is one of those characteristics you just have to live with. It is no sign of a bad transmission but the characteristic of square teeth in the gears rather than beveled.

In probably 50-60 top-gear roll ons at freeway speed the engine missed a couple of times for a split second. Seemed like a tiny flat spot like the engine just wasn't getting fuel for that very small amount of time. I can't really duplicate it so I'm guessing it's not a problem.

Pick a time when it is quiet and go out to the garage and have a serious talk with her... Don't accuse her of anything.. but use words like "I feel that sometimes you are really missing it." :roll: That or carry a big stick and threaten her that next time... Oh hell... I have no idea... 8)

I've read most everything I could find here and elsewhere about the output bearing issue as my Rocket was manufactured in March '06 and probably falls in the range that exhibits this problem. Any idea the build dates / VINs affected? Unfortunately I don't have a great feeling about my dealer as he completely denied there ever being such a problem then under persistent questioning (after the sale of course) grudgingly admitted that they'd replaced a couple of output bearings from among the approximately two dozen Rockets they've sold (close to the same number as reported in the survey here). Has anyone had any luck discovering what, precisely, causes these failures? As quiet as Triumph and the dealers seem to be about this issue I'm guessing it's an inherent design flaw and terribly expensive if not impossible to correct. The sump design change is suspicious as well, anyone know whether the original sump was redesigned, whether a change was made then later discarded, or have any other info regarding the timing of this change?

Otherwise, having a blast and plan to continue doing so for many years to come.

I really don't think this is as big of a problem as we have heard. Sure, there are some problems, and they did a recall for a fix to the bikes of 04 and 05. The 06's were past that and I think you are harboring unnecessary worries. Enjoy the ride!

The sump design change is suspicious as well, anyone know whether the original sump was redesigned, whether a change was made then later discarded, or have any other info regarding the timing of this change (and how to tell the old from the new)?

Did i miss something on the sumps on these gorillas? Never new there was an issue, thanks.

My 06' Classic has the tight transmission. In the beginning I used to apply pressure on the shifter and roll the bike back or forth to get it to drop into first. But like Stormrider and the others stated, you just slip the clutch a bit while applying pressure and you can feel the gear drop into place. I now have 13K on my 06' and the problem you have to watch out for as far as the rear shaft is concerned is oil leakage. Once you see that, then its time for a replacement!
Enjoy your ride, your going to have a great time!
All the Best,
Dog

I have the same problem not being able to shift into first "problem."
I just let the clutch out before I try to engage first to get the gears spinning then depress the clutch and it olways goes in. I don't think it is a real problem, just something to get used to. I have to do the same with my 71 Series Land Rover sometimes.

IronMike said:
I have the same problem not being able to shift into first "problem."
I just let the clutch out before I try to engage first to get the gears spinning then depress the clutch and it olways goes in. I don't think it is a real problem, just something to get used to. I have to do the same with my 71 Series Land Rover sometimes.

G-Man said:
Pre-Loading gear selector for first gear selection from neutral at stop has always been a British bike characteristic.
They (the Brits) must think this is the way it is suppose to be done.
Put mild pressure on gear selector to first while bringing-in clutch and gradually increase selector force to first.
You will feel first being selected.
If you don't feel it keep the pressure on the selector as you let out the clutch and first will slip right in.
After a while you don't even think about having to do this...it just comes naturally.
Hope this Helps..

Gary

Switching over from the Honda crowd, I can tell you that in the VTX world, this is same case. It is caused by the gears being "square" rather than "beveled" so it is a little more difficult for them to line up and you end up having to play with it. It is not a defect. I'm not sure why they design it this way, unless they feel it gives the teeth more strength. But I can tell you that new riders on all VTX's have the same question or concerns. It is a very normal characteristic.

Back