6 lbs of air GONE! in my tires.

Freightbusters

Supercharged
2006 Rocket 3000 miles

Temperature last couple of weeks in the high 80's and checked at this temp

Temp now and when measured the now around 55 to 65

Surprized to find 6 lbs loss in each tire .....Did not check my tires for 4 weeks.

2006 Rocket 3000 miles

Temperature last couple of weeks in the high 80's and checked at this temp

Temp now and when measured the now around 55 to 65

Surprized to find 6 lbs loss in each tire .....Did not check my tires for 4 weeks.

Couple of things......

First off you lost 6 psi. Not 6 pounds. compressed air has weight but not much. Secondly, did you check the tire pressure hot or cold? I always check my tires hot on the bikes and cars and cold on the big trucks. Running temperatures will, as a rule, be 3-5 psi higher than cold inflation pressure and finally, did you use the same gage both times? Tire gages are not all the same and all read a little differently. I try to use the same Milton gage all the time and my Milton has an analog round faced pressure gage attached to it. They aren't cheap but good tools aren't as a rule.

Finally, you ambient temperature dropped 20 some degrees. The static pressure in the tires also dropped. That's why it's always wise to check your tire pressure often and adjust it to the maximum rated on the sidewall for the best fuel mileage and treadwear. All tires, whether tube type or tubeless will leak air to a small extent. It may be the rim to bead seal, a slight leak in the valve stem or sealing washer, a slight porosity in the rim itself or it may be escaping through the tire carcass itself. They all leak down over time.

Air Lost

Thanks there .Sidecar....as you provide some good stuff ......would be interesting to see if there would be the same variation with nitrogen filled tires.....hmmmmmm?

Is interesting that you check the bike tires when they are hot.... I am using the book pressure and have not looked at the max air on the tire.....checking now!

Like Flip said, make sure you have a decent tire gauge. I used a crappy one on my last trip and when I got home, I checked the air pressure and it was 10 PSI over in each tire.:eek:

nitro is not suposed to leak off as fast and one plus isthat it will also stop the corrosion around the wheel weights. That little bonus itself would sell me.

I lose about the same amount with drastic temp changes also. I bought a set of tires for my truck from Costco a few weeks ago and they were filled with nitrogen. I'll have to see if I get the same variations.

I lose about the same amount with drastic temp changes also. I bought a set of tires for my truck from Costco a few weeks ago and they were filled with nitrogen. I'll have to see if I get the same variations.

After you got the new tires at Costco I had to have new tires mounted on Amy's Ranger and I went to the tire shop that services the tires on ther school trucks for 2 reasons. One, they are nice guys and 2, they had the best price, by far. I was pleasantly surprised when I picked up the truck and I too, had green valve caps. Very stylish. I asked them why not regular air? They told me anytime they mount a complete set of new tires they do a nitrogen fill. They too said nitrogen leaks off less, don't degrade the casing or the alloy rim and besides, you get neat green valve caps. They are going to do my bike tire. I believe I'll do the nitrogen fill in that too. I still think it's a gimmick but I like the valve caps.:D

Nitrogen

Hi Everyone,
I've spent my life in the tire business so here is a couple of my thoughts:
Nitrogen is way overrated. It does help a little but you still need to check your air pressure often. A recent study on car tires that sat in a garage for ten years only showed the nitrogen filled tires had lost 2 psi less the the regular air tires. Nitrogen does run a lot cooler. That's the big plus. Keeps the pressure more constant on long runs. It is used in mining operations all the time. I think it makes for a little harder ride. But, everyone should be using it to gain the little advantages.
Never fill tires to the sidewall reading. Always us the owner's manual. The amount on the sidewall is the maximum for the tire, not the recommended pressure for the load.
Always check tires when they are cold. No exceptions
As mentioned in the previous posts tires always leak. It's just so!
I've noticed on my Rocket that I can tell if the pressure is off 2 psi. So, I'm always checking the tires. It makes a world of difference in the handling.
Carl

Hi Everyone,
I've spent my life in the tire business so here is a couple of my thoughts:
Nitrogen is way overrated. It does help a little but you still need to check your air pressure often. A recent study on car tires that sat in a garage for ten years only showed the nitrogen filled tires had lost 2 psi less the the regular air tires. Nitrogen does run a lot cooler. That's the big plus. Keeps the pressure more constant on long runs. It is used in mining operations all the time. I think it makes for a little harder ride. But, everyone should be using it to gain the little advantages.
Never fill tires to the sidewall reading. Always us the owner's manual. The amount on the sidewall is the maximum for the tire, not the recommended pressure for the load.
Always check tires when they are cold. No exceptions
As mentioned in the previous posts tires always leak. It's just so!
I've noticed on my Rocket that I can tell if the pressure is off 2 psi. So, I'm always checking the tires. It makes a world of difference in the handling.
Carl

I've spent my life in the tire business too..........................wearing them out.....:)

I prefer to use the sidewall rating simply because the sidewall rating will give you the most economical use as in MPG and reduced rolling resistance. I always get at least 90K on a set if automotive tires.

Back