Journeyman

"And this one is just right" ~ Goldilocks
Ride
2020 3R
Not one to leave well enough alone, I'm experimenting with different tires on my 2020 3R. I'm interested to hear of other's experiences and sharing information.

Front tire
Screen Shot 2022-08-20 at 11.03.15 AM.png

• Avon Cobra Chrome 150/80R-17 (stock) - $244.88 at Rocky Mountain ATV - I'm just not a fan of Avon, despite the very cool "Cobra Kai" like name and tread/logo patterns. $$$
  • Bridgestone G701 Exedra Touring - $188.22 - I tried this tire and wasn't impressed first time out. Like Avons, it wore unevenly.
  • Dunlop Elite 4 - $267.80 - Well, my tire of choice for the Roadster, but for some reason this size is way too $$$ for me to even want to try.
  • Shinko SE890 Journey Touring - $149.99 - I just recently gave this a try (first time running Shinko) and so far, surprised with the handling I get from these tires. They were excellent on The Snake and Back of the Dragon and in the rain, taking it easy. We'll see how long they last and how long they wear.
  • Metzeler ME888 - $280.75 on Amazon (winner for highest price)
  • Any other choices out there?
Rear Tire
  • Avon Cobra Chrome 240/50R-16 (stock) - $339.88 - $$$, cool name, cool looking, wear quickly, mehhhh
  • Bridgestone Exedra Max Rear Motorcycle Tire 240/55R-16 (86V) - $204.88 - I've probably written enough about this tire elsewhere. In my opinion a much better choice for a variety of reasons over the stock rear.
  • Metzeler ME 888 Marathon Ultra Rear Tire 240/50R-16 84V - just $388.83 on Amazon!!!
  • Those are our only choices for the rear that I'm aware of. Others?

Last edited:
Metzeler ME 888 Marathon (when available) in front and rear is a valid option, based on my riding experience.
I think the Metzeler 888 is performing much better than the previous 808. My cobber ran one on his 'R' and got around 11000 or 12000kms from it. He was pretty happy with it re handling and wear but has put an Avon Cobra Chrome back on this time.

Metzeler ME 888 Marathon (when available) in front and rear is a valid option, based on my riding experience.
Thanks- I updated the list to include the Metzelers- yeah Tal, Metzlers were generally a very unpopular tire with 2.3 riders, but sounds like they figured something out with the ME 888.

The prices I found for front and back to fit the 2.5s were much higher than all other tire choices. If you have a better source than I've listed, please share.

I tried the Metzelers and wasn't happy with them so I went back to the Avons. Might try the Exedra later but I've already quickened the steering a little by dropping the forks. I got about 18k kms out of both the Metz and Avon tyres so the only decider for me is price and feel, and I prefer the feel of the Avons.

Not one to leave well enough alone, I'm experimenting with different tires on my 2020 3R. I'm interested to hear of other's experiences and sharing information.

Front tire

• Avon Cobra Chrome 150/80R-17 (stock) - $244.88 at Rocky Mountain ATV - I'm just not a fan of Avon, despite the very cool "Cobra Kai" like name and tread/logo patterns. $$$
  • Bridgestone G701 Exedra Touring - $188.22 - I tried this tire and wasn't impressed first time out. Like Avons, it wore unevenly.
  • Dunlop Elite 4 - $267.80 - Well, my tire of choice for the Roadster, but for some reason this size is way too $$$ for me to even want to try.
  • Shinko SE890 Journey Touring - $149.99 - I just recently gave this a try (first time running Shinko) and so far, surprised with the handling I get from these tires. They were excellent on The Snake and Back of the Dragon and in the rain, taking it easy. We'll see how long they last and how long they wear.
Rear Tire
  • Avon Cobra Chrome 240/50R-16 (stock) - $339.88 - $$$, cool name, cool looking, wear quickly, mehhhh
  • Bridgestone Exedra Max Rear Motorcycle Tire 240/55R-16 (86V) - $204.88 - I've probably written enough about this tire elsewhere. In my opinion a much better choice for a variety of reasons over the stock rear.
  • Metzeler ME 888 Marathon Ultra Rear Tire 240/50R-16 84V - just $388.83 on Amazon!!!
I have the Cobra Chrome on the front of my 08 R3 Classic and the Bridgestone Exedra Max on the rear, per the advice offered on this forum and it has transformed the handling of my bike. The bike no longer wants to stand up in corners under power....

Thanks for the good advice guys...

Front tire

Rear Tire
I have never ran anything but the Avons on my GT and have been very satisfied so haven’t experimented with any other brand. I may have to though because the Avons seem to be getting scarce. What dont you like about the Avons?

I have never ran anything but the Avons on my GT and have been very satisfied so haven’t experimented with any other brand. I may have to though because the Avons seem to be getting scarce. What dont you like about the Avons?
They wear quickly* and unevenly and are outrageously expensive. The Exedra Max lasts longer, performs better, and is far less expensive. Its profile is also 1" taller, so your handling will feel more responsive/quicker, as the result is that the rake is shortened.

To accommodate the larger tire you have to lift the front rear fender 1". It's a super simple mod that is reversible, but it seems very few owners of the new Rockets, compared to the older models, are willing to do mods other than to the exhaust, including changing tire brands - it's a mystery 🤷🏼‍♂️.

*If you're getting 10,000 miles to a tire (straights and Interstates), then the difference in wear may not be significant.

I'm happy to try other tyres but I prefer to have front & rear matched.
Might try the 888's next as I've just about worn out my second set of Cobras at 15,000km.

I really wish Michelin made the Road 6 in these sizes.

I'm happy to try other tyres but I prefer to have front & rear matched.
Might try the 888's next as I've just about worn out my second set of Cobras at 15,000km.

I really wish Michelin made the Road 6 in these sizes.
cobber on his R model got about 13000 kms from his Cobra and put a 888 on with the idea of changing the front and the 888 at the same time...he didnt mind the 888 as it turns out and got similar km's from it as the Cobra....Went back to the Cobra again after the 888 had worn out tho....he got 23000 kms from the front cobra which suprised a few of us...he rides alot and is no nanna either!.

Back