2020-v-2021-v-2022?

wsaharem

Standard Bore
Ride
R3GT
Good morning everyone. Looking to upgrade my Honda Valkyrie to a Rocket 3!! I'm looking at dealers, or possibly low mileage 2020 or 2021. Other that color/model, I can seem to find much difference between the 2020, 2021 and 2022 models? Has there been significant changes made between the 3 years? or anything I should stay away from? I'm pretty sure I want the GT model, but not sure I would like the pegs upfront all the time. I would like to ride it both in sport mode and on long rides cruiser mode. On my Valkyrie I have both standard pegs and up front cruiser foot rests.

Any advice?

Thanks
Wsaharem (Bill)

Good morning everyone. Looking to upgrade my Honda Valkyrie to a Rocket 3!! I'm looking at dealers, or possibly low mileage 2020 or 2021. Other that color/model, I can seem to find much difference between the 2020, 2021 and 2022 models? Has there been significant changes made between the 3 years? or anything I should stay away from? I'm pretty sure I want the GT model, but not sure I would like the pegs upfront all the time. I would like to ride it both in sport mode and on long rides cruiser mode. On my Valkyrie I have both standard pegs and up front cruiser foot rests.

Any advice?

Thanks
Wsaharem (Bill)
From what I understand, there isn't much difference between the bikes as far as engine/performance between the years. I found a 2020 with 1500 miles on it at a nice discount over new. I have a GT. The forward controls can be moved an inch forward or backward. Others have also mounted the mid-controls from the R onto the GT. I'm sure if you did that you could probably fit some after market highway pegs up front. Good luck on your hunt!

As I understand it, other than the TFC being hand built in the UK initially, no material changes through the years so far (aesthetics with the new Black editions aside), although Triumph did fix some production line issues like the brake bleeding recall...

Last edited:
I'm always leery of first year models, especially Triumph. I'm looking at one last new bike, I really like the Harley Pan Am, but I'm not keen on buying a first year model. I'm pretty soured on Triumph, to be honest, out of all the various makes of bikes I've owned, I've only had major issues with three, unfortunately all three Triumphs I've owned. 2001 TT600 had fueling and starting issues, 2002 Sprint broke the crank, and Rocket transmission went. All were known issues for that model and/ or year.

I'm always leery of first year models, especially Triumph. I'm looking at one last new bike, I really like the Harley Pan Am, but I'm not keen on buying a first year model. I'm pretty soured on Triumph, to be honest, out of all the various makes of bikes I've owned, I've only had major issues with three, unfortunately all three Triumphs I've owned. 2001 TT600 had fueling and starting issues, 2002 Sprint broke the crank, and Rocket transmission went. All were known issues for that model and/ or year.
I cannot tell how many times I have promised myself NOT to buy a first-year model ever again, only to break the 'new rule' at the first opportunity that presents itself (-: To be fair, though, the new 2458cc (150 CI actually) Rocket is not a 'new' bike at all, but rather a refined and sorted, slightly larger 2300cc Rocket with a well-overdue facelift and impressive tummy-tuck.

I had the first year 2010 Triumph Thunderbird 1600 fresh off the showroom floor... and unfortunately I had every known problem; some I may have brought to light. I still loved that bike though... and honestly, other then the dealer mailing me a new complete speedo/instrument cluster after we moved, I've brain dumped what those issues were.
-MIG

Back