2010 t-bird to 06 R3

Geoff

Standard Bore
Hello everyone.

Just picked up my 2006 R3 tribal yesterday. Got a chance to take it for a ride and so far so good!

Pre-ordered a 2010 t-bird last year. Rode it end of last season and this spring, but I felt it wasn't enough. It was either big bore and spend the coin for all the add ons or find a used R3. Settled on an R3 with 5000 miles which has quite a few add ons!

The bike has cat delete and TORs, but I must say it's almost too loud for me. Need some more seat time before I switch pipes. I do have the stock exhaust, but I don't want to lose the power.

There will be a few things to get use to, the t-bird is such a solid bike on the road.. the rocket front end seems a bit less refined. Seems to feel cheaper, but with only a day of riding it's hard to tell. I couldn't be happier otherwise. I have alot of learning to do!

Hopefully it will be a good fit for you, welcome to the site from Afghanistan.

Dennis

76 dtg Dubai
77 dtg Home

Welcome! It's interesting what we all want out of bike, etc... and, of course, that's why there are a 1000 different bikes. I sold my Rocket (08 Touring model) in favor of the T-Bird. I gave up power, but gained in handling. From my experience (had a Rocket for almost 2 years and have had my T-Bird for 5 months), Triumph made a lot of improvements with the T-Bird. It almost seems like they learned from all of the Rocket's shortcomings, which aren't very many overall. I think you will find the T-Bird handles better. It's the best handling cruiser I've been on. Like most cruisers, however, it's limited in lean angle (scrapes pegs fairly easy).

As was stated, however, both are fine bikes and really just boils down to personal preference. IMO, Triumph is doing a bang up job with all of their bikes. I'd love to add 2 more to my stable (Street Triple and Thruxton), but I'd likely have to pay for a divorce if I brought another bike home. lol

Welcome aboard Geoff.
I think you'll like the Rocket once you get use to it.
I personally don't see how anyone could NOT like the Rocket better.
Test rode two demo T-birds,
was gonna get one for the wife.
After the rides, I started looking for her a used Rocket instead.
They're nice little bikes,
but they ain't no Rocket.

Had a good day of riding today, put on 200 miles or so.

Getting settled into the rocket. I will say the t-bird transmission is better all around. MUCH smoother. Othen then that I think the rocket is better for me in all other areas. The handling is probably better on t-bird, but for the riding I'm doing I can't tell. The rocket drops into corners just as well, and it feels awesome throwing a big bike like that. I was always dragging pegs on the bird and don't have that anymore.

T-bird still holds a special place in my heart. It might be staying in the family now. But picking between the two I'll stick with the rocket!

Daryl, I think as long as you keep food on the table and a roof over her head (and let her have the vehicle she wants) I think she'll let you have another one...or two.

Dennis

75 dtg Dubai
76 dtg Home

I've been planting the bug in her ear about the Thruxton SE lately. Since I already have a similar bike to the S3 (my Tiger), the Thruxton is the obvious first choice. The problem is she thinks they're ugly. She doesn't like the retro styled Bonnies and Thruxton. :(

"They're nice little bikes, but they ain't no Rocket."

Not in the power department, but they're much more refined in other areas. They handle better, the tranny is light years better, and the belt drive is much smoother than the Rocket's drive shaft. The drive shaft is kind of twitchy at low speeds on the Rocket; at least it was on my R3T.

That said, I've said this before and I'll say it again so I don't get acused (again) of not liking the Rocket. I purchased the wrong Rocket model. Had I not listened to my wife (she doesn't like the looks of the Standard Rocket's tank) and bought the Standard R3 in 08 instead of the R3T, I'm pretty sure I'd still have it. The Standard R3 doesn't sit much different (ergos) than the T-Bird. It's just bigger. And having put some quality miles on a Standard since then, I think I'd have been perfectly content with the Standard. That said, I love my T-Bird and don't see myself parting with it for at least a few years (that's a long time for me to keep ANY bike).

I'll say too that I thought that even though I wouldn't miss the bike (R3T) a bit, I might miss the power, but I don't. I think that's mainly because I have a pretty quick bike (plenty quick for me) in the Tiger so I still get to have my fun when I feel the need.

Again, everyone looks for different things in a bike and that's why there are so many different makes and models.

Back