mouka

.020 Over
Howdy all?

I have just bought a nice 2005 R3 with 9100 miles on the clock. It is in excellent condition. At least that's what I think.
Aesthetically it is a 10 out of 10. Mechanically speaking, it should be fine except I have heard some weird noises when I first rode it home. The noises would come in low gears at low speeds and low revs. It's almost as I was hearing the pistons hitting something. Once the revs would be over 2500 rpms, the noises would simply disappear. I just hope it wasn't a valve clearance issue. The previous owner did tell me that he had the valves checked recently and that the dealer assured him the valves were checked at 1000 miles to makes sure everything was fine.
The bike has several nice extras:
Corbin hard bags.
C-Tech windshield with adjustable vents.
K&N air filters
Tune-Boy EFI module
Sargeant seat and backrest
Custom paint job with striping done by Liza.
D&D Exhaust
PIAA Running lights.
I am sure I forgot some nice extras.
On top of these extras, the bike came with a DMC sidecar with hydraulic adjustments and electric winch.
The tires are Avon and are brand spanking new.
I also inherited the old pipes and a ton of spare parts.
I know it was one heck of a good deal.
What do you think?

rocket1.jpg rocket2.jpg rocket3.jpg rocket4.jpg rocket5.jpg

Last edited:
Welcome Mouka! Yes, that's a really good price for one with the low miles & all the extras incl sidecar, unless you find out later it has something major wrong with it from the noises you are wondering about.
The K&N filters being on it in place of the stock intake piping will give a "chirping" noise but not just at low RPM range.
Others more knowledgeable should be along soon to hopefully give you an idea of what it could be - Nice looking bike :thumbsup:

I know the previous owner and he has told me that there was absolutely no hidden defects or issues with this rig whatsoever. In fact he showed me the maintenance records done to it by a local motorcycles dealer. He has even suggested that we take it to the dealer and have it checked there. I declined because I trust the guy.
Now as far as that weird noise, it could be something normal as the pistons underneath this thing are massive. At low speeds the noise could simply be the normal engine doing its normal business.
What HD tail light are we talking about?
The only HD item on this rig is an oil pressure gauge the previous owner put in there. I personally do not know what its use is, but it looks cool.

record the sound u r concerned with and let the guys give u an opinion

Welcome Mouka! Yes, that's a really good price for one with the low miles & all the extras incl sidecar :thumbsup:
The sidecar itself costs more than what i paid for the whole thing. I have the receipts from 2011. It did cost $5900 just for the sidecar. $700 to have car brakes on the rig. $300 for the pitch control. $400 for the windshield. I do not know how much the winch did cost, but I am guessing a little bit of cash too. $250 to have the interior of the sidecar and the trunk fully carpeted. These extras quickly add up and now we are talking over $7000 sunk into the sidecar. And don't forget the paint job to make everything match. He did not disclose to me how much he paid a local artist to do the paint job and some neat striping.
I guess I paid for the sidecar and got the bike for free!

record the sound u r concerned with and let the guys give u an opinion

I will do that tomorrow and upload a video.
If I were to venture a guess, the sound is normal and I am worrying about nothing.
By the way, the engine sounds absolutely fine at idle and at first or even second gear. It's at some specific point that I feel a noise more than I hear it when the rpms are between 2000 and 2500. I will try riding it tomorrow and upload the video and sound to youtube and provide you with more details about what I am talking about.

Last edited:
Back